Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Wont Start - Black Screen, None Responsive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PDADiva

PDADiva

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Greetings Friends,

Gateway Laptop, NV53

Will not turn on (black screen), no bios screen, the power light is on (blue), battery light is blue, but the screen is black, when I press and hold the power button, it will power down.  The CD drive works, but how can I run the recovery disks created due to the fact that nothing appears.

Could it be the hard drive or a monitor issue?

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Edited by PDADiva, 15 October 2013 - 07:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

Not to be a smart A but the answer is yes. Could be either. If you have a monitor you can plug into the laptop that might help eliminate one. Is there any HDD activity [blinking light] to indicate thae drive is active? If both are non-op then I'd look at the power supply

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Also make sure the monitor hotkey didn't get pressed accidentally.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

If you shine a flashlight on the screen, can you see the desktop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 PDADiva

PDADiva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hello Again,

I'm responding to the replies to my problems, again thanks for trying to help.  I've also been doing some reasearch this issue and tried the following

1. UNPLUG THE POWER
2. REMOVE BATTERY
3. HOLD POWER BUTTON FOR 30/60 SECONDS
4. REATTACH POWER AND START THE LAPTOP
5. SHUT BACK DOWN
6. PUT IN THE BATTERY
7. THATS IT

Did not work for me...so my research goes on.....I'm really PO's at my self for not following my own advice as in BACKING UP my files....I should get twenty lashed with a wet noodle (smile)!

I've responded to the help provided by dc3, chrisd87 and dicke want to thank you guys for your suggestions.  I'm also thinking about "going in".....to take a look. 

Please see below the responses posed to me.....

dc3

Posted Yesterday, 03:35 PM

If you shine a flashlight on the screen, can you see the desktop?

Answer: The desktop is not visible when I flashed a light on the screen......

chrisd87

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Also make sure the monitor hotkey didn't get pressed accidentally.

Answer: I booted up the system and pressed the monitor hotkey repeatedly, but alas, nothing. 

dicke

Posted Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Hi,

Not to be a smart A but the answer is yes. Could be either. If you have a monitor you can plug into the laptop that might help eliminate one. Is there any HDD activity [blinking light] to indicate thae drive is active? If both are non-op then I'd look at the power supply

Keep us posted

I have another monitor to eliminate a display problem, but I loaned my cord to my mother and have to get it back.  There is no HHD lights, but when I press the programmable, backup and volume button those light come on.  As i mentioned earlier the power on and battery charge lights come on and I checked and saw that the CPU FAN running last night.  I have not heard any clicking sound which would indicate a pending hard drive failure and consider myself quite "ANAL" about running check disks tests, defragging and keeping my av and malware programs up to date.  I'm hoping the hard drive is not dead. 

How would I go about checking for a power supply issue.  I've build desktops and am quite comfortable going inside...just never taken apart a laptop.  Looks like that would be my next step.

Thanks again and any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I wish you all peace, love and blessings....

PDADiva

#6 major7

major7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Greetings Friends,

Gateway Laptop, NV53

Will not turn on (black screen), no bios screen, the power light is on (blue), battery light is blue, but the screen is black, when I press and hold the power button, it will power down.  The CD drive works, but how can I run the recovery disks created due to the fact that nothing appears.

Could it be the hard drive or a monitor issue?

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Your NV53 may have a connector issue within the laptop screen.  Long story short, the system may be in a hibernation mode.  I had an NV52 with the same issue and was able to successfully boot after a somewhat unorthodox screen adjustment.  I assumed luck took over so I backed up and prepared for a more involved repair.  The discussions on this thread http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-255599-gateway-notebook-will-not-turn-on#newanswer echoed what I initial did to get the system up and running and proved true for the solution.

Of course I’m assuming a similar manufacturing technique is used on your NV53.  Hope this provides a viable option or assists in the diagnostic process.

#7 normusic

normusic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I had the same problem. Before running the combofix program I uninstalled my anti-virus - Avast. When I re-booted all was back working again. I have got no explaination why but it worked for me.

Regards,

normusic

#8 PDADiva

PDADiva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Good Afternoon NoMusic,

You indicated that you had the same problem (black screen) and used combofix to remedy the problem.  I have one question for you, how could you use combofix if the screen is black?  Just asking......

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I had the same problem. Before running the combofix program I uninstalled my anti-virus - Avast. When I re-booted all was back working again. I have got no explaination why but it worked for me.

Regards,

normusic

Undoubtedly...you did not have the "same problem" since tools designed for malware...do not address other system issues of a non-malware nature.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users