Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update/svchost.exe causing massive system slowdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lather

lather

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

A few days ago, I hit a problem with my laptop following an issue with a Windows update. Windows was set to alert me to new updates, but not download until I said so. It alerted me to the presence of several updates, including the usual monthly anti-malware one, and I started the download as usual. Once the download had completed, I checked to see what updates they were before starting the install process. All of this up to now is what I've been doing regularly for the past few years without a problem.

However, something then went wrong with the process and the installation seemed to fail (the progress window just vanished). The computer slowed down to a crawl, and when I checked Task Manager, it showed it was locked at 100% CPU usage. Checking the processes list, it showed that one iteration of svchost.exe was the culprit. 

A quick bit of online research told me that there is a known issue with svchost.exe linked to Windows Update that can cause this problem, and that the solution was to turn off automatic updates and install a couple of updates manually. Turning off automatic updates did solve the problem with CPU usage, but now I can't install any updates manually as going to the Windows update website causes svchost.exe to kick in again and start hogging 100% CPU usage once more.

So I'm currently in the situation where I can't use automatic updates because having them turned on leads to svchost.exe hogging all of the CPU time and stopping anything else from happening, and can't install updates manually because that leads to the same issue as soon as I go to the Windows update website.

I'm currently completely stumped by this issue, and was hoping that someone could suggest a fix that would enable me to keep Windows patched and up to date. Any ideas?

System info: Thinkpad R32, 1.6GHz/1GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Do a System Restore to a date prior to the download.

What was the update that triggered this?  You should be able to find this information in the Control Panel under Add or Remove a program.  It has been a long time since I had XP on a machine, but as I recall there is an option you click to access the updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lather

lather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Do a System Restore to a date prior to the download.

What was the update that triggered this?  You should be able to find this information in the Control Panel under Add or Remove a program.  It has been a long time since I had XP on a machine, but as I recall there is an option you click to access the updates.

Checked the list of updates, and none there listed for October - the most recent are the start of September. If nobody else has any better suggestions, I'll try rolling the system back to an earlier date, but I'll leave it a while before doing it to see if anyone else does have any alternative ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users