Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Recipient Opened Program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

I have used for over 10 years now MSGTAG free edition on my  workhorse OE Email account with not a single problem and I have almost always received a message saying that the recipient has opened my mail from a large variety of  highly official and business sources to friends.

With my Gmail account I have just  discovered Bananatag for Google Chrome as a simple extension 

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Internet-Applications-Addons/Chrome-Extensions/Bananatag-for-Gmail-Chrome-Extension.shtml

With a few simple adjustments to the settings, it works perfectly with no trouble whatsoever. Every new Email has the Bananatag marker and tracker checkbox included and a receipt message is received immediately the recipient opens the sent mail. Brilliant, it is  extremely user friendly and the support people can be contacted easily and are prompt in replying.

With the free version, 5 Emails per day only are allowed, but for myself and many more casual Email senders, that is more than adequate.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 October 2013 - 08:35 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Nice, I might have to try this out later.

#3 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Bananatag is impeccable for Gmail as a Chrome addon.

But for other accounts "Whoreadme" is just as good - http://whoreadme.com/

I have Whoreadme on my OE and Yahoo Email accounts and it works perfectly. An Email is received within 2 minutes of when the recipient opens the sent message. It is very good indeed.

The only inconvenience is that you have to add ".whoreadme.com" to the recipients address when you compose the message.

You have to register your Email accounts, but once you sign in to "Whoreadme" after that, a whole mass of reference data is available.

Under "Tracking Reports" a list of your sent messages is given with an indication of either the message has been received or has been opened. The indicator turns green and is ticked when the message has been opened.

Under "Account" you can configure what you want, but it is best to check the box "Originating email address" against "Send notification to"

#4 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

http://whoreadme.com/full-features  This is exactly why I use an email client that doesn't load html, scripts, OR images until I tell it to.  You'll know I opened it and get my IP address (for a lot of the other "features") when I answer and not a minute before, but even that won't give you my physical location closer than 20 miles or so, and that's assuming dialup.  Cable or satellite and you're even farther off the mark, unless your recipient happens to be in a big city.  End result?  whoreadme will know a lot more about you than me.  Now if you don't mind them (I suspect) having access to every attachment you send, then go ahead and use them.

Just sayin' is all...

#5 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

I have used proxies for many years to access both reputable and highly suspect sites with impunity and had no problems at all.

The Email trackers I have mentioned are excellent and I can recommend each one of them. All I wish to know is that the recipient has opened my Email. It is NOT an invasion of privacy, no more so than a recorded delivery or registered letter with the ordinary land mail delivery service.

Having my Email address and IP is of no concern whatsoever. Thousands of sites on the Internet have had this data. The Internet is a function of giving away your IP and Email addresses, every time you click your mouse.

These Email tracking companies cannot do anything nasty with your Email address and IP, because they are reputable companies and are in a business of trust. Their revenues would not get very far if they tarnished their trustworthy image.

IP location and other details ? Of no interest. Sometimes by chance my IP gives the correct location, but most often it does not. I have been located in places I have never heard of.

I have used MSGTAG for over 10 years without a single problem. I get an "opened" notification 99 times out of 100. There are no details, just a message that the recipient has opened my mail. These include Government departments, even including the British Prime Minister`s office, Military establishments etc., large companies, Executive addresses, local authorities and all kinds of official recipients, including of course my personal contacts.

The bottom line is - if you consider getting notification that a recipient has opened your mail as being essential to communication, then any one of the facilities I have mentioned will be superbly suitable.

If you are paranoiac about trusting companies with your Email and IP addresses, then this extremely useful facility is not for you.

#6 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

It is NOT an invasion of privacy, no more so than a recorded delivery or registered letter with the ordinary land mail delivery service.

I do consider it an invasion of privacy, IF it's abnormal in general practice AND the recipient doesn't know it's happening. 

I also think it's important for anyone reading this thread to know that what you're espousing here is not considered acceptable by everyone. That's my only point.

#7 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Dear Lindy,

I do understand your personal point of view. Many other Email users feel the same and I accept that particular opinion is an important factor to such people.

However, in all kinds of communication, it is of vital importance that the sender of a message has positive verification that the message has been received. Many Government, Security, official administrations, business and military communication systems would become useless if messages had no means of receipt acknowledgement.

The systematic notification of message receipt is certainly NOT an invasion of privacy, it is a vital technical necessity of all successful and well designed communication systems from the very complex high-tech to the humble and simple Email.

My own enthusiasm for knowing that the recipient has received and read my Email is consistent with this practice.

Edited by Skippyroo, 19 October 2013 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users