Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbook nightmare

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bigdp

bigdp

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi
My son has a aspire one kav10 netbook which has decided to stop booting up. He has a message that says "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be cause etc. It tells him to insert disc to repair it. I have tried the alt + f10 combo but that doesnt work and ive tried booting from usb stick but same problem. The problem is the netbook doesnt have a cd drive. It also says file: "Boot\BCD and status 0x0000098. Info: The windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry. banghead.gif
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

In order to boot from the flash drive you will need to change the BIOS so that the USB device is the first device in the boot order, the hdd the second device.  I don't know which BIOS you have, but you may need to enable the USB device in the boot order as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hi thanks for replying.
Ive tried the things u suggested but it still doesnt work.
The bios screen says its InsydeH20 setup utility rev. 3.5.
There is no option ti enable usb.

Any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

How did you go about creating the bootable Windows installation flash drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

I tried the usb flash in my pc and it worked fine but the netbook wont boot from it. Ive tried all the boot options and orders.
Thanks

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

You need to create a bootable flash drive with the windows os on it

netbooks use windows 7 starter.

The net book has a very limited bios it looks at the usb for a bootable medium and then reads the installed hd and that's it

(at least the ones Ive repaired).

#7 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

Hi
Is there anyway u can explain what i need to do? I dont know where to get the files i need and i dont know what to do after that.
Thanks for replying..

#8 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

@ Roodo. 

That is not always the case. There are quite a few netbooks that came from the factory with XP Home/Pro 32bit and Linux Distros (generally 32bit). Depends a lot on when the netbook was manufactured. 

@BigDP 

There is the matter of finding drivers before you install XP. Some of the newer netbooks simply can not run windows XP due to the GPU not sipporting it (only really applies to the ones running Intel GMA36** series graphics. If you have intel HD, AMD, or Nvidia graphics, then you have no worries). 

I am not seeing any match to kav10 on the Acer support page, so can you please conform the model number please. 

As for how to install it, you need to add your .iso to the flashkey. There are plenty of tools to do that, such as yumi.  Once you achieve that, then it should be as simple as pressing F12/F8 (depending on the BIOS settings) and selecting the flashkey as the boot device.  With the YUMI method, it would be as simple as setting the BIOS default boot to the flashkey (as it is a 3 step  install method). 

Edited by wolfeking, 18 October 2013 - 04:04 AM.

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#9 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hi
ive looked at the bottom of netbook for model number. It says Aspire one series and model no is KAV10. There is also some chinese writing before it says KAV10.
Thanks

#10 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

It says on acer support page the KAV10 are called Aspire One (AO) D150.

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

The Aspire One system labeled with the model KAV10 is actually an Aspire One AOD150. The support model number is located on the bottom of the netbook on a white label. If you can get that number it will help.

#12 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

hi

the only numbers on bottom are S/N: LUS560B05791038A9C1601

and SNID: 91023209216

thanks again

#13 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

From what I have found out you should be able to change the
boot order to usb in the bios. at the top of the bios screen you sould see the word boot
please confirm if this is right . Alsolet meknow what happens when you hold down the alt+f10 while turning on
the notebook.

Edited by Roodo, 18 October 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#14 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Okay, with the info that BigDP gave, you do have windows XP drivers (lucky you, not all are that lucky with Acer netbooks). The manual on the support page says boot order is set in the BIOS. You can try the F12 option too, but I can't guarantee that it will work (does on nearly every other Acer with InsydeH2O BIOS/UEFI so should with your machine too). 

As for setting it up, you need one of 2 things (as likely said earlier). A CD/DVD drive (USB) with the Windows XP key and CD, or a Flashkey with the .iso and key to install it. Do you need help getting either set up to use? 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#15 bigdp

bigdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hi
i really need help setting either of them up to use as im really struggling
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic