Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KIT Network search in Firefox can't remove

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nosolau

nosolau

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

Tried malware removal, super antispayware removal and spybot, all free installs as suggested in Mozilla forum.

KIT network began appearing recently with Firefox. Mozill forum suggested posting here if the above didn;t work.

Windows 7 all current updates. most recent Fire fox. Anyone know how to remove this search bar?

Thank you.

Nosolau

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Have you looked in your add-ons/ extensions and Add/ Remove list for this 'KIT'? I did a bit of searching and could not

find anything definitive as to what KIT network is. Possibly a job search.

The two programs linked to below are free. Give them a try and allow them to remove whatever they find.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Post the logs of those scanners back here if they find anything.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nosolau

nosolau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

It was not listed in the add-ons/extensions or Add/Remove list.

Thanks. I'll look at the suggested programs. In the meantime I just reset  Firefox. It changed the searchbox back to what it was before removing the KIT Search box.

Still haven;t figured out who the change to KIT search took place. Updates to Firefox, Skype and some software from Applian were done. There have never been problems with those applications before.

All that remains is to put the Accuweather add-on back in place for Firefox.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Adware/ toolbars can be dropped from any source.....programs, updates, add-ons, etc.

That is the norm these days.

My first suspect from what you mentioned is updates for Applian. A Skype recording add-on that

previously did not drop adware recently included adware in an update causing popup ads.

I would be interested in seeing if those two programs found any evidence of the KIT search adware as

others may seek a way to remove it here.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users