Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer 5720 unknown problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trist077

trist077

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:28 AM

i am looking at an acer 5720 for a friend 

first of all they downloaded something and got a virus and laptop would display but not work

now  for some reason you press the power button the laptop fans etc sound you get a quick white flash on screen then it remains black

but the laptop light stay on and sounds like its still running

things done so far

deleted virus off hdd via another computer

tryed a different hdd in laptop

connected to external monitor no display

removed ram

when hdd and ram are completly removed laptop does not make any beeps

tryed running on ac or battery on own

can you help never know a problem like this

will post a video soonif i can

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trist077

trist077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

looked at it again today started up white flash then screen goes black fan starts then turns off cd drive etc does not open

tryed with ram and hdd removed or in still the same

if boot by battery when turn back off it will not start again unless i reinsert the battery 

before this happenedwas told that downloaded something and everytime logged on after it came on with a thing asking to pay as yu get errors and virus,s

then just did not come on at all after a few tries

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

HI,

I would like to ask a few questions to try and pin down the problem.

I am somewhat confused by where You say these things.

looked at it again today started up white flash then screen goes black fan starts then turns off cd drive etc does not open

tried with ram and hdd removed or in still the same

if boot by battery when turn back off it will not start again unless i reinsert the battery 

Where I am confused is the first line sounds like a hardware problem.

The third line makes it sound as if the laptop is booting into windows.

So Questions are

When You turn on the laptop do You ever see the Acer Logo?

If So can You go into the BIOS setup?

Have You tried with just One memory at a time and swapping them as a simple test for bad memory?

Is the AC adapter working properly? Does the Laptop show a light for AC connected when You plug in the AC adapter? Does it show the charging light?

Does it start to Boot into windows with a display and then go black?

For testing try pulling the Hard Drive and Optical drive.

Just In case this is supposed to be the service manual

http://www.intellcity.ru/content-2/service-manual-notebook-Acer/service-manual-Acer-Aspire-5720-5720G.pdf

or http://elektrotanya.com/acer_aspire_5720_5720g.pdf/download.html

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 trist077

trist077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

never had acer logo show up or even been able to get into bios

chargeing light does show when plugged in and also battery light shows its chargeing i have tryed a different psu already

i have cleaned ram holders tryed 1 at a time in different slots still the same tryed with no ram in to and it did not make any beep codes

no display externally

press power button on hear the fan run it flashes white then remains black and after 5 secands the fan turns off

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi, Did You ever try an external Monitor? See if it works that way, if not then It sounds like a major hardware problem......

Did You try pulling the drives as I suggested? Also being very careful as the connectors are delicate, using the service manuals I linked try unhooking the screen, Keyboard and touchpad. By Screen I mean where the screen assembly connects to the motherboard.

Test.

If it still shuts off then it is most probably the Motherboard. If it stays on try hooking things up one at a time testing in between until the problem part is identified.

It isn't real common but any of those parts can keep a laptop from functioning. For example I have seen a bad keyboard or a bad Multimedia button board keep a Toshiba from working, So it can happen.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 trist077

trist077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

thanks it has a dvi connection so next step is to try that

0 user(s) are reading this topic