Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need better power supply to get better graphics card.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Majinken

Majinken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hi everybody,

I have a desktop ASUS computer and I wanted to give it a better graphics card (it's a nvidia gt620 right now) so I can play better games and some existing games such as Tera without framerate/loading issues. However, I have a 350w power supply in this computer, which is not nearly enough for what I want to do. What would be a good power supply to replace it with and what about a good graphics card for the money? Money is no object at this moment as I'm not upgrading immediately, but I would like good value on the graphics card and I feel like the power supply will kill my computer slowly if I don't replace it.

The power supply in question is here -> click

The computer in question is here -> click

I really hope this isn't a lost cause. The computer is great other than the power supply and the graphics card. All the original equipment is still in the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

What kind of video card are you thinking about getting?

Also stating that money is no object will get a lot of spammy posts telling you to get the biggest one with the most wattage.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi, you will certainly need a power supply upgrade for a decent graphics card. Based on the original power supply link that was provided, it uses a standard size power supply which means it is upgradeable. The Seasonic X650 is a well built 650W power supply which has a Gold efficency and is fully modular, meaning you will only use the cables that are required and keeps its less clustered. For the graphics card, i suggest the EVGA GTX780 FTW which is a blazing fast card and it will basically play nearly all games at max graphics settings at 1080p and the ACX cooler runs cool and quiet.

Edited by killerx525, 15 October 2013 - 02:07 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Majinken

Majinken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

What kind of video card are you thinking about getting?

Also stating that money is no object will get a lot of spammy posts telling you to get the biggest one with the most wattage.

Ah, yes... I definitely don't want one in the $1000+ range; maybe one around $600~$750 or so will do. I'm thinking nvidia as my experience with them has been great.

Hi, you will certainly need a power supply upgrade for a decent graphics card. Based on the original power supply link that was provided, it uses a standard size power supply which means it is upgradeable.

Standard size? I'm lost in the dark when it comes to most hardware... That pretty much means I can go out and get a random supply and the majority of the time it will work, right? What brands are recommended?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

Standard size? I'm lost in the dark when it comes to most hardware... That pretty much means I can go out and get a random supply and the majority of the time it will work, right? What brands are recommended?

Yes, the "standard size" is usually ATX. There is a recommemdation that i linked in my previous post.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

I would recommend the following power supply CORSAIR GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - 99.99 as it provides enough wattage and amps on the 12v rail to provide power for the most demanding video card from nVidia and the rest of your components.

This is also a good one as well Thermaltake Tough Power TP-750P 750W ATX 12V 2.3 & SSI EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply - 89.99

Here is another one that I recommend PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 750W Modular Power Supply features 100% Nippon Chemi-Con Capacitors compatible with Intel Haswell Core i3/i5/i7 and AMD Phenom - 149.99

The above will power any high end video card with plenty of upgrade room.

Will you also be doing SLI?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users