Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Wifi Behavior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bryan5255

bryan5255

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

First off I want to start by saying I don't have any issues with my wifi at my place. However anytime I go and visit my parents the wifi has a bunch of odd issues. It seams to be just my laptop as my parents don't have any issues with their computers. First off the wifi seams to come and go. If I'm not doing anything internet related it shows up for a while, but once I try to get online it has issues again, and I have to reconnect to get any pages loaded and I generally lose connection again pretty quickly, basically going back and forth between being connected and me needing to connect again. However the oddest part is I've noticed if I'm downloading something or if a movie is buffering it stays connected. In fact I'm got a movie playing in the background right now through netflix with the sound muted just so I have a stable internet connection. Anybody know what may be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

How far away are you from the access point, and what is your parents home made out of?

Also do you have your cell phone on and in the vicinity of your lap top?

#3 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm only about 20 feet from the access point and according to the bars I have a very good connection. My parents home is made of wood and brick, no straw though. It's too windy for that.

Yes, I do have my cell phone in the vicinity of my laptop generally, but that's normal regardless of where I'm at and I don't have issues other places.

I apologize ahead of time for the slow response. I just got a call and probably won't be able to get back to my computer till tomorrow sometime.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Try keeping your phone away from the lap top and see if the issue goes away.

#5 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Keeping my phone away from my laptop didn't change how my wifi behaves.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users