Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 911zabuza

911zabuza

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

srry if i posted this in wrong tread

a couple of days ago my laptop froze so i had to turn it off.

i'm running windows 8 and when i whant to do e full system restore it tells me "the drive where windows is installed is locked,unlock the drive and try again".

at first i couldnt log in at all but now i can but i still would like to fix it completly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi

Do You mean a system restore or do You mean recover to a like new as delivered condition.

If so there are two options, one installs a new copy of Windows and software as delivered but leaves Your data. The Other wipes the drive and loads it back to as delivered condition.

How to perform a clean install of Windows 8 using Reset your PC

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8/

Windows 8 provides a new feature that makes this process incredibly easy by erasing your data, reformatting your hard drive, and reinstalling Windows 8 at the press of a button. This new feature will allow you to erase your data by overwriting it numerous times with random patterns that make it very hard to recover any information off of your hard drive. Once the data is removed, it will format your hard drive and install Windows 8 onto it. When the process is finished, you will be left with a computer that is set to how it was when Windows was first installed. The best part about it is that all of these steps are done without any interaction by you once you get the process started.

Please remember, though, that unlike Refresh your PC, this feature does not save your data. Therefore it is imperative that you backup and store your data in a safe location as once you start this process your data will be lost forever.How to reinstall Windows 8 while keeping your data using Refresh your PC

How to reinstall Windows 8 while keeping your data using Refresh your PC

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/reinstall-windows-8-using-refresh-your-pc/

Windows 8 introduces a new feature called Refresh your PC that allows you to reinstall your computer while at the same time preserving your data, preferences, and Windows Store apps. This allows you to perform a very easy and automated clean install of Windows 8 while not having to backup your data. Thus making a task that many people did not know how to perform and one that could take hours become something as easy as clicking a button in Windows.

Read All the details on the pages I linked and decide if that is for you.

Also a handy little thing I use

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 911zabuza

911zabuza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

ok so i tried this one "How to perform a clean install of Windows 8 using Reset your PC" but it freezes at 20% i believe this is because the drive is locked.

and when i did the other one before i came to bleeping i finnaly got to acces my laptop but it keeps telling me that there is a prob with my drive is there a way i can unlock this drive

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Time to run a hardware diagnostic on the hard drive.

What make and model of Laptop?

Is it still under warranty? If So I would get in touch with the manufacturer and have them troubleshoot it.

If No warranty can you enter the BIOS setup and see what make of drive?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users