Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 susieque22002

susieque22002

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

I am having a strange problem. I copying some CDs, to preserve the originals from damage. I have listened to to this particular one, and all of it is spoken (no music). However, whenever I go to rip it, a completely different CD comes up, with songs on it. I deleted that CD off of my music file and off of my recycle bin.

I tried it again. Same thing happened. So, I did some searches--the album name/artist/each individual song/my music folder/each user (admin/user/guest, etc.)--many times. I continue to have the same problem. I KNOW this CD has no music on it--and my computer thinks the album and none of the songs are on it, but every time I put this CD in, the music comes back on it!! No problem with other CDs.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

twilight zone!

have a virtual drive by any chance (like Daemon tools or MagicISO) with a disk image mounted in it?

Is it a data disc or an audio disc? Could be an autoplay function also if it's a data disc...

#3 susieque22002

susieque22002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

I don't have a virtual drive.

It is an audio disc. It does autoplay.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'm just thinking about it logically...

The disc goes in the drive, the media upon the disc reads. 

It's not really possible for something that is not on the disc to play/rip/autoplay/anything. I believe you are mistaken as to the contents of the disc, however much that may put you out.

Sorry.

#5 susieque22002

susieque22002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

I've puzzled over this for the last few days, and it just plain defies logic. If I put the disc in a regular CD/DVD player, it plays what the CDs label says, but as soon as I put it in either of the computer drives (DVD or CD), it reverts back to this other album. I thought maybe it was a "default" album, but can't figure out how to change it, if indeed, it is a "default".

Yep, I think I truly have a "Bleeping Computer"!!!    ;*)

Edited by susieque22002, 15 October 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

It's fully bleeped me too :lmao:

Someone has done something tricky with that disc...

#7 susieque22002

susieque22002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Do CD/DVD drives have memories in them? If so, how can I wipe them clean?

Both of them show that they have 0 bytes used, but....I just can't figure out how this stupid album keeps coming up, when my computer can't find it!!

Edited by susieque22002, 15 October 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

I wish I could see it with my own eyes....

#9 susieque22002

susieque22002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

That's a little hard, beings we are separated by a pretty big pond!! :wink:

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Intriguing.  You're attempting to rip using WMP11 and the files on the disk are shown to be song titles, on the Rip page, or Track numbers? Can you try the CD in another burning program, to see if the contents are displayed correctly, (before you would go to burn). If so, there may be a corruption of the WMP11 database.  (Well known straw clutching suggestion).

What's the format of these files in Windows Explorer and what does the CD or DVD drive letter indicate is loaded.

Edited by petewills , 16 October 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#11 susieque22002

susieque22002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

OK, I checked WE, and it only displays track numbers. When I left clicked and went to Properties, this is what it came up with:

Track  #01

Type: CD Audio Track

Opens With: WMP

Size: 4 bytes

Size on Disc: 2.00 KB

Created: Saturday, December 31, 1994!!

Modified: Saturday, December 31, 1994!!

(The album says 2001!)  :oopsign:

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Like TsVk!, this is something I would like to see for myself, regardless of whatever ponds or puddles are in the way, but head scratching comes up woth another possibility.

Your CD of spoken voice may not be the pristine, ex-manufacturer's disc you believe it to be. Standard CDs can hold up to 800 MB of data, equal to about 70 - 75 minutes of audio output. If, and I say if, this is a pirated copy it could be a faulty one in that something else had been recorded on the disc but not closed and somehow it got re-recorded as your voice stream copy.

However, the files should show up in Windows Explorer regardless, so if there are 10 tracks of voice and 10 tracks of music, you should see 20 files in WE, so this also sounds a bit unlikely as an explanation.

If you have any audio recording software on your computer you could try playing the disc on a standard player and feeding the audio into your computer and recording it. Then making your back-up copy from the recorded audio. A bit long winded but it should work. But like the other posters, I would love to see this in action !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

What is the name of this CD/DVD? Also is it an enhanced CD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users