Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent "Keys out of order" disk error on MacBook Pro w/Bootcamp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MacftWin

MacftWin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hello there! I have a problem with the OSX partition of my laptop, and it absolutely refuses to go away  :(

It's happened 8 times now. For the first 6, I followed the directions I got from a local tech support desk: use the built-in recovery drive to reformat the Mac partition and re-install OSX. After the 7th time, I took it to the Genius Bar and they replaced the hard drive and a cable (I can't remember what cable exactly, but it was related to the hard drive).

Once I had a new hard drive, I reloaded my files and profile using Time Machine, but none of my programs. I then re-setup Bootcamp and re-downloaded and installed fresh copies of all Windows software I use. Since I manually backed up my Windows files, there was no need to use Window's built-in restorer. 

That worked for maybe 2-3 months. The actual time since the hard drive replacement was closer to 9 months, but I didn't re-install Windows until this past summer. Then, about a month ago, when I logged into the OSX side of my computer, it loaded a default profile (without my settings, and with the typical galaxy background) so I knew something was up. I opened up the Disk Utility and had verify, then attempt to repair permissions on OSX. That didn't work...instead of fixing the problem, it resulted in what I've come to call the "WSOD", or "White Screen of Death", meaning OSX refused to load at all. I could still bring up the, uh, "Boot Manager" (I don't know what else to call it--I'm not well-versed in Mac!) and load Windows, but strangely, my new hard drive did not come with a recovery drive partition.

Since I could load Windows, I tried to open up the Macintosh HD on the Windows side and copy my important files over (which I had done in the past), but the disk was so corrupt that even Windows couldn't read it. So, I took it back to the tech support desk. This time, it did load (twice): once where I could get to the login screen but could not login (it looped back to the login screen) and once where I could login but it was with a default profile and all files seemed corrupt to the point OSX couldn't even move them across the desktop. My Mac was clearly crippled, so they booted it up in Target Disk mode and ran some scans.

To my surprise, the hard drive had a whopping 8 partitions and at least 13 GB of unallocated space (which I assume was RAW). What's worse, two partitions were exactly the same size, occupying the same space on the disk. I guess I should mention my Windows partition and my Mac partition were the same size, but the Windows partition was just fine...The two partitions occupying the same space were an untitled disk and the Macintosh HD. The untitled one contained my files and we were able to recover them to an external hard drive, but after that, I had to take the MacBook back to the Genius Bar. The Genius Bar reformatted the disk, added a recovery disk partition, and manually recovered my files to my account. 

So, that brings me to today. I'm looking to add a Bootcamp partition again, but recently, I discovered some people have had similar issues, and now I have suspicions as to why this happened, and I have a question.

Typically, the Macintosh HD is supposed to be read-only, so when Windows runs updates, it can't attempt to use the OSX drive as a "swap drive". I've read a few articles such as this one and while I am typically wary of believing them, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my problem.

More specifically, I wonder if it has to do with a certain Seagate HFS+ driver I use with Windows. I have a Seagate Backup+ for Mac, but since I wanted to also use it as an external hard drive, I have been installing Seagate's workaround that makes it possible for Windows to mount HFS+ drives every time I set up Bootcamp. Could that be why my OSX partition keeps self-destructing? I think it's also worth mentioning that my Seagate external has only messed up once, but it too is an HFS+ formatted drive, and the error was exactly the same: "Keys out of order", but not before Windows recognized it as a RAW disk and had issues reading it.

I have also been told that since I had Sophos for Mac that could be the problem, so I have not installed it since I got my Mac back. I had it primarily so I could transfer files back and forth without worrying something downloaded on OSX that didn't affect OSX could be carried over to Windows. Although, I don't deny Mac malware exists, so running around without an antivirus isn't comfortable.

I have a MacBook Pro (Late 2011 model) running OSX Lion and I want to Bootcamp it again with Windows 7 Ultimate. I really do not want to use Parallels or other virtualization software if I can avoid it...I run some heavyweight programs such as 3DSMax, and need to be able to take full advantage of the hardware when I'm on Windows. Sorry for the wall of text. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by MacftWin, 14 October 2013 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xz4dxx

xz4dxx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

A dumb question - what AV are you running on the Windows 7 / Bootcamp installation?.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

More specifically, I wonder if it has to do with a certain Seagate HFS+ driver I use with Windows. I have a Seagate Backup+ for Mac, but since I wanted to also use it as an external hard drive, I have been installing Seagate's workaround that makes it possible for Windows to mount HFS+ drives every time I set up Bootcamp. Could that be why my OSX partition keeps self-destructing? I think it's also worth mentioning that my Seagate external has only messed up once, but it too is an HFS+ formatted drive, and the error was exactly the same: "Keys out of order", but not before Windows recognized it as a RAW disk and had issues reading it.

I don't know, but what you describe would raise my suspicions as well.

I suppose the way to test it is to NOT install that Seagate HFS+ driver in Windows in Bootcamp...and see if things go screwy again.

#4 MacftWin

MacftWin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

A dumb question - what AV are you running on the Windows 7 / Bootcamp installation?.

Usually it was McAfee Enterprise (I could get that free from the campus store) but recently (before this last mess-up) I changed to Microsoft Security Essentials.
In both cases I ran my web browser in Sandboxie, but since it was 64-bit, it didn't run anything at a low-level

I don't know, but what you describe would raise my suspicions as well.I suppose the way to test it is to NOT install that Seagate HFS+ driver in Windows in Bootcamp...and see if things go screwy again.
Yeah, I've decided I should do that. For now, though, do you think I should unmount Macintosh HD whenever I update? To avoid the "swap drive" issue altogether.

Edited by MacftWin, 22 October 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I don't know, but what you describe would raise my suspicions as well.I suppose the way to test it is to NOT install that Seagate HFS+ driver in Windows in Bootcamp...and see if things go screwy again.

Yeah, I've decided I should do that. For now, though, do you think I should unmount Macintosh HD whenever I update? To avoid the "swap drive" issue altogether.

It probably would not hurt to try it assuming it is easy to unmount the Mac HD partition in Windows (it has been a while since I use Bootcamp, so I don't know/recall if that causes any issues).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users