Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cheap or no-cost monitor screen repair?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 syn1023

syn1023

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-CR220E and the monitor is cracked in a few different places. I want it repaired but do not want to spend a lot of money because that's money I could just put towards a new computer. Is there any way that I could get a cheap or free monitor screen repair? And where is the damn attachment option for this post?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Don't have an answer to your question, but not all forums at Bleeping Computer allow attachments. This is for the security of our members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

@ syn1023
If you filled in items like your location so they show under your name it may help.
Are you looking in Alaska, Russia, Mexico, NYCity, Australia etc ??

Generally $90 to $100 is a bit expensive ......... (USA model)

Sorry to be a pest :)

Edited by noknojon, 14 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#4 syn1023

syn1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'm in Texas, USA. Does anybody know where I could take it to get it repaired for free or low-cost.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

You can order one through Amazon.

$80.99 + $6.99 shipping

Excellent video giving you instructions on doing your own replacement:

▶ How to Replace Sony Vaio LED LCD Screen - PCG-71913L - YouTube

You should remove the screen before ordering a new one to get the exact screen model/ description printed on the

back of the screen.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 syn1023

syn1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thank you for the link to that screen for sale on Amazon. Is this what I would have to do, purchase an entirely new one?  

Do you know how I would match my screen's backlight, size and resolution to the product sold on that amazon page?

My screen has also black marks around the cracks. Are those dead/broken pixels? Are they part of the screen and that would be fixed by replacing the screen?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Did you miss this?:

You should remove the screen before ordering a new one to get the exact screen model/ description printed on the

back of the screen.  It looks like there is more than one model of screen for the same model of computer you have.

If you are going to do the repair yourself, be sure to watch the video I linked to.

If there is damage beyond the screen you will know once you have removed the screen.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hi -

On a follow up to my post (was just asking a question).

Sorry but I am unable to find even a nice person to help you.

I did send 2 emails to places that looked good, but they both wanted to sell screens only, and from their shop.

After all that, I am not sure if you can repair your make / model, as no person would do it.

Might be a Training School (or similar) that is willing to help, but beyond that .......

Sorry -

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Thank you for the link to that screen for sale on Amazon. Is this what I would have to do, purchase an entirely new one?  

Do you know how I would match my screen's backlight, size and resolution to the product sold on that amazon page?

My screen has also black marks around the cracks. Are those dead/broken pixels? Are they part of the screen and that would be fixed by replacing the screen?

To be candid, I don't think you have the technical expertise to replace either the LCD panel, or the display assembly. If you do a search for "LCD repair in (Texas, or the name of your city)" you can find some good candidates. Of course you aren't going to find any free service. Even at some vocational school you'll have to buy the parts at least. All the same, the best advice I can give you is "get professional help". Otherwise, I think you are likely to find yourself over your head very quickly.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users