Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help restoring Logical Partition from Raw format

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TB11

TB11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hello, I was hoping someone here could help me out and has some experience with restoring Raw partition formats. 

I used Acronis Disk Director 11 Home edition to change a logical to a primary partition and then my C: Drive disappeared, I have used R-Studio since then to get most of all my files back.  Some files were unreadable or the file system was corrupt so I couldn't restore them to another drive like the rest.  However I would still like to be able to restore that partition and hopefully log into the windows on there as there are 2 programs, acdsee pro 4 and media monkey from which I want to export the databases that I have. 

It is a lot of work, art and entertainment images and music that I had categorized and sorted with media monkey or acdsee pro 4.  Right now I am stuck on what to do using next using TestDisk.  I got as far as doing a quick scan, it found a small part of the logical partition but when I checked the folder/file structure on it was wrong.  Next I did a deep scan and it found what seems to be the proper folder/file structure.  I was following this guide http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ but following it didn't repair anything on my hard drive.  Here is some images of what I am dealing with, please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify

Also is there an easier program that can actually restore the Partition table or boot sector or w/e I have to fix so I can restore that partition and have access the windows OS and programs on that partition?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips ! 

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.jpg   75.17KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  02.jpg   64.06KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  03.jpg   34.36KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  04.jpg   46.93KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  05.jpg   125.03KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  06.jpg   57.22KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

First...you need to recognize...that anything ever suggested by anyone to try...is only that, an attempt, an effort, a suggestion.

There is, IMO, nothing that is guaranteed to do what you desire...a reversal of fortune.

One or more of the following may be of some use to you:

What is RAW file system - http://www.raw-file-system.com/

Rebuild NTFS Boot Sectory, Using Testdisk - http://www.xtralogic.com/testdisk_rebuild_bootsector.shtml

TestDisk - CGSecurity - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Louis

#3 TB11

TB11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

I totally understand that this is a hit or miss chance atm.  But I would like to figure out what exactly is wrong with this partition and try to fix it using test disk or another program.  The issue I'm having is understanding exactly what to do and what my problem might be.  Here is the error log I got from R-Studio after I created an image of that Raw partition and opened it before it let me restore my files to another drive. Will rebulding NTFS boot sector fix File System errors and w/e MFT record child's claimed parent mismatch is ? Or do I try to fix the Partition table then Boot sector ?  Thank you so much for the reply and for the links Louise

Attached Files

Edited by TB11, 14 October 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Could just try to reclaim the data then reformat the partition using Parted Magic.

EDIT: didn't see your link before, saying you had already tried that...

Edited by TsVk!, 14 October 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well...you have two concerns...the data on the partition...and the status of the hard drive itself.

Accessing/saving the data is the short-term goal...the status of the hard drive is long-term.  While the status of the hard drive can directly affect any effort to reclaim data, the reverse is not true.

You could have a damaged partition, damaged MFT, etc...and they could all be due to the status of the hard drive.

I've never had any success using Testdisk and I generally assume that the drive is beyond repair when a couple of attempts with recovery software fail.  Once that occurs, I move on and buy/install a new drive.  The best source of info on using TestDisk would be CGSecurity.  The best way to test the functional status of the hard drive...would be via the hard drive manufacturer's utility developed for that purpose.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users