Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No mouse or keyboard on Windows XPsp3 startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kephyr

kephyr

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

When I start the computer, I can go into setup and see that the the USB Keyboard and Mouse are recognized as installed (and the keyboard works to get in). I can use the keyboard to choose which drive to boot from and whether to boot windows normally or into Safe Mode.  But once the Windows splash screen appears, the keyboard and mouse are disabled. I can't do anything.

I can boot from a system disk and go into Recovery mode and log into Windows, but I can't launch system restore from there.

What's happening with this computer and what do I do to save it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have run into something similar on computers running XP a couple of times. An elderly friend of mine whose XP computer - fully patched - had thrown a wobbly which I couldn't fix on site so I brought it home. Having a spare monitor, mouse and keyboard I only brought her tower back with me. Plugged in a USB mouse and keyboard, and the damn thing just sat there laughing at me !  It wouldn't boot.

After some head scratching, I dug a PS2 connected mouse and keyboard out of the depths of the cupboard under the stair, and Lo !  it booted. Once I had solved the orginal problem I got to play around with it. Once it was booted, I could switch the PS2 components for USB ones and it would carry on workng perfectly - it just wouldn't boot with USB ones.

Since my friend used PS2 components I didn't spend too much time worrying about what caused this, I just gave it back to her.

Try it with PS2 connectors, you an get USB to PS2 adapters if you don't have a suitable keyboard and mouse handy. This may solve your problem, but I cannot help you on what causes it - I am as puzzled as you.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kephyr

kephyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

I should have added more details.

This is a client's computer. It was freezing up on her and unable to use the mouse. She has a USB Keyboard and mouse connected as well. The motherboard only has a PS2 for the keyboard. If I boot with that I have keyboard but not mouse. So I think not having USB keyboard OR mouse may be indicative of where the problem is.

As I said, I can boot from a System Install disk and have access to Recovery mode. Something is broken in Windows, but I don't know enough to know what it is.

#4 kephyr

kephyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

More info:

When I boot it with the PS2 keyboard, I can use it for a little while, but it eventually freezes up too.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yoou have caught me at a bad time - I don't have an XP computer to hand for various good reasons like we have visitors coming next week and I have to turn my office / workshop / junkstore back into a spare room !  So, for XP, I'm working from memory. It does sound like the problem is related to your USB drivers.

If you go into 'Device manager' you should find your USB controllers - you say you can get the computer to run at least briefly with the PS2 keyboard - and uninstall all of them. Then re-boot the computer and they should re-install automatically. If you are lucky, the USB components should start working normally. If they don't, then the problem is somewhere deeper and I am afraid I have no idea of where to go.

If uninstalling the USB controlers doesn't work, I would be thinking in terms of backing up all the clients data and doing a complete XP re-install, which with support running out in six months is hardly worth doing. Win 7 ?

Chris Cosgrove

#6 kephyr

kephyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the advice.

It's continued to become more unstable. Degenerated to a BSOD restart loop. Pulled the hard drive and plugged it into another machine to try to recover files and it autoran checkdisk and found a bunch of problems. Hopefully the files I've pulled off are complete and not just a bunch of gibberish.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Could have been a problem with the hard drive causing the problems with mice and keyboards.

Hopefully you have recovered the data, but if the hard drive is on its last legs then a new HD and a re-install sounds the way to go. Any way to check if the rest of the hardware is up to running Win 7 or 8 ?  If it isn't, it looks like you could have two choices: one, a new HD and a full re-install; or two, persuade your client it is time for a new computer.

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users