Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bassboost

Bassboost

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hi!
So, I just downloaded Hijack this as was recommended by a friend. I now quite a bit about fixing computers, but I'm in over my head. My computer has been randomly crashing recently, complete with the "blue screen of death" and all. Symantec found nothing, and SpyBot and AdAware came back clean, however PandaScan did find some spyware. So I downloaded HiJackThis and just did a scan, I've never used it before and don't know what to do with the logfile, I posted it in the appropriate forum. I was just curious if anyone had any other ideas for things for me to check for, I don't get any error messages, except that every once in a while Thunderbird has to close due to an error, but generally my computer just crashes every once in a while, no other symptoms. :-S Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bassboost

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

Now that you have posted a log in the HJT forum it would be best not to make changes to your system, as changes will make your log old and viod. It is best just to let your log sit and be patient. The folks in the HJT forum are very busy, so it can take a few days to get a response. Please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until your log has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond.

There are currently 128 unaswered logs.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

LINK to your log.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

HI Bassboost, since you've posted in the HJT forum you should not do anything else. Changing things on your PC now will void the info you provided the analyst. He will be wasting his/her time. As busy volunteers,you can see how this would be unfair. Thanks for your patience.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Bassboost

Bassboost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Ok, thanks. I did close HiJackThis, since I figured it would be a while before I got a reply. Is this going to screw up the scan I posted? I haven't changed anything significant other than closing that.

The hex messages on my stop message are as follows:

0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF&A86984, 0xF7A86680, 0x804E9CAA)

And the error messages after Windows booted back up had the following "Error Signature":
BCCode:24 BCP1:001902FE BCP2:F7A86984 BCP3:F7A86680 BCP4:804E9CAA
OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product:256_1

I realize that those "BCP" codes correspond to the codes on the stop message, and the rest is just information about my version and service pack of Windows, but I didn't know if for some reason it'd be helpful. :-) Thanks!

Bassboost

Edited by Bassboost, 28 April 2006 - 09:44 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

It's OK to close it. Just wait for the analyst to respond. They will tell you what they need for you to do next. Do not even respond to that HJT forum post until they contact you. It will then loose it 0 reply status. The techs look for 0 replies to see who is next.
Again if after 5 days you can follow those instructions in Albert's post.Be patient and you will get quality help..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users