Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Son's disastrous problem after Windows update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 poulner

poulner

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Can you,please help me to help him with the problem outlined below? If need be he has access to his partner's laptop

(1) Windows XP update took place whilst computer switched on an logged on whilst watching TV.

(2) Retuned computer screen blank initially thought the screen was in standby, moving mouse and pressing on keys did nothing. So did a hard reset.

(3) Computer booted up but would not load windows and came up with blue screen saying PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

(4) Another hard reset and tried safe mode same result as 3 above.

(5) Another hard reset and checked system settings everything ok with them

(6) I thought (late on Saturday evening) the issue may be with windows, so did a repair re installation from windows CD.

(7) Windows CD asked for computer to be restarted, which I did and again computer would not load up windows.

(8) Run a Dell system checker CD which took 18 hours to complete and the only error was in respect of USB, something along the lines of USB not reconised.

(9) If I disable the USB ports and driver by going into system settings F2 the computer will boot up and ask the windows CD to be put in CD drive. Windows installation then progress to a point where it asks a question and with no USB I cant use the keyboard or mouse to answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

You can try purchasing a USB to PS/2 adapter, if the system has a PS/2 port (should be two round ports near the top of the case, one purple and one green.

PS-2-ports1.jpg

Instead of an adapter you could track down and maybe borrow an older keyboard and mouse that has PS/2 connectors. They don't make them anymore but they are still around.

#3 poulner

poulner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

Have been told there is no PS2 port

He has also "Have put new batteries in both the USB mouse and Keyboard.

Still no luck

Computer starts up fine goes through Dell splash screen then says windows re install restarting then freezes, keyboard at no point works.

Even when I remove the windows CD disk and reboot same result happens. " Any further ideas, please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users