Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connected but cannot browse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smithereen

Smithereen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

I am your average know-little-about-computers-behind-the-UI user.

I have an iMac with a 20 gb partition on which I have windows 7 installed. I have been running windows 7 very occasionally but was concerned that a few different security options I was using (malware bytes for instance) were insufficient, so I installed bitdefender total security 2013. Shortly thereafter, my windows side wouldn't let me browser the internet. It says I am connected to my wireless network (the one I'm using to write this post from my ipad) but programs such as my browsers, spotify, steam, etc can't access the internet. My network settings diagnostics tool comes up with no faults, I turned off my windows firewall and the bitdefender firewall stuff, but all for naught. I then uninstalled bitdefender completely but still have the same problem.

I don't know what win-sock is but it appears from reading what you all have written in the past that it relates to restoring network settings to their default. I tried to do netsh winsock reset (after first doing netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and restarting the computer) as the administrator but it's telling me access denied.

Remember: monkey see monkey do with me. I don't understand any of the standard parlance in this mystical realm of computer tech wizardry.

Can anybody help me? I'm not in a good condition sans internet connection to upload logs or download programs/files but if that's the only way, i can probably figure some clippings>>USB drive>>browser-via-osx solutions.

Thanks so much in advance for your generous help! Gotta love the decentralized, unregulated nature of the internet that lets one person help another.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2013 - 02:31 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Did you uninstall the BitDefender set of programs?

Louis

#3 Smithereen

Smithereen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Yes, I fully uninstalled it.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Have you tried system restore back to a date prior to installing Bit defender?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 Smithereen

Smithereen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

No. Is this a built-in feature in windows 7? Do I need to have taken system snapshots or anything in order to go back in time and will I lose files, etc. or is it just a settings restore?

Thanks, Chris!

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

System restore is a feature that's built into Windows 7. Windows should have created a restore point prior to installing Bitdefender. You can easily tell by simply opening up System Restore by clicking on start and typing system restore. Once you have it open select next and see if you have any restore points that dates back to a day/time prior to installing Bitdefender. If you do, then simply select one of the points and click next and then finish.

Here is a faq about System Restore that may answer your questions. System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup.

Here is a guide that talks about System Restore and may help you through the process.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 October 2013 - 03:49 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users