Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Replacement Mobo on Toshiba Satellite NB

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 walter37

walter37

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

I believe the mobo on this notebook (not mine) was damaged when the residential power grid was hit by lightning.  Ethernet port is no longer active and there are other indications of damage, but the HD seems operational. The wireless router to which it connected wirelessly was fried.  I have access to a replacement mobo, and I have done enough computer rebuilding and repair to believe I might be able to handle this replacement.  My question is: Is the current setup tied together so that the HD, OS, etc will not function with the replacement mobo (from a vendor) even though it is the same model, etc.  I have System Restore Disks created before the NB was damaged.  A few years ago I encountered a problem installing a replacement mobo in a desktop when I had not purchased the mobo directly from the computer mfr.  Fortunately, a tech walked me through the process to prep it with temporary access to a website.  Does anyone know whether I am likely to encounter a similar problem here?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hi, You may or may not have a problem running the restore disks.

I will explain. Toshiba makes a utility available as a non public, ASP only, download. That utility is designed to program things such as Model, Serial number and other information. If the other information does not match what the restore disks expect they may refuse to run. That information tells the restore disks what hardware and software to install.

However All is not lost, The restore disks should have a Drivers Disk that can be used to install drivers and software as I remember it.

It is also possible that You could take the restored laptop to a Toshiba service center and have them run the appropriate utility to set it up. Many different laptop models from Toshiba use the same motherboard. It is the running of the Personality software that sets model and such into it.

Or the replacement motherboard if used or repaired could be OK as is.

I would expect the Windows to boot if it is the same motherboard.

And many models will have Windows 7 drivers and utilities available for download from Toshiba even if the laptop did not come with Windows 7, I have a business model that came with XP Pro or Vista Business that I was able to set up with Windows 7 due to everything being needed from Toshiba.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. does it run right now? What all is damaged?

Edited by rotor123, 14 October 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users