Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Security suite

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lloydlec

Lloydlec

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

can anyone give me the name of the best security suite on the market. I have tried Bitdefender but it will not even install on my Windows 7 laptop. Any advice?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 October 2013 - 07:30 AM.
moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

In my opinion, and in my opinion only the best security suite is a Antivirus and Malware Bytes Pro, The paid version that provides active protection. I should mention that the only Firewall I use is the Windows 7 and Windows 8 built-in firewall.

Also from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

Here is a list of Virus/Malware related links, software, and resources to help with the removal of Spyware. This list has been created from a variety of sources and anyone is free to copy this list in its entirety for their boards or other purposes. Please note that BleepingComputer does not provide any warranty that these tools will work as advertised or not cause further problems to your computer. Please use only if you understand what you are doing.

I also run Web of Trust for the search engines.

WOT protects you against scams, untrustworthy links and rogue web stores

Add WOT to your browser to protect yourself from online threats that anti-virus software can’t spot Web safety is not just about viruses and malware. WOT’s ratings are powered by a global community of millions of users who rate websites based on their own experiences.

Using this system I have no problems in the past few years, FWIW.

Knock Wood for luck

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 14 October 2013 - 08:08 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 PrashantKumar96

PrashantKumar96

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

For me best protection is:

Microsoft Security Essentials + HitmanPro (with a weekly scan) + Windows Firewall + SAFE BROWSING. Along with them Malwarebytes scan in case anything is detected (other than tracking cookie, of course, ;)). Safe Browsing is very important part, no security suite on earth can protect you if you will not pay enough attention on security. See this for some good tips on safe browsing:

Best Practices - AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I feel that prevention is better than having to clean. Having said that the best protection and the first line of defense is Not just clicking anything. It is stopping to think, should I do this?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ask 10 people what is the best and you will get 10 different answers.

Since you ask about security suites that is what I will address.

Security suites generally are those which need to be purchased. Keep in mind that there could be one or two which will not play nice with your system. I tried McAfee on a previous computer. It made it run slower than a turtle. The only way I could get rid of it was to reinstall Windows XP.

The best way to decide is do your research and narrow down your choices. Then go to the manufacturer website to see if there is a trial offer. If there is (and the major players will have them), download and install it. This will allow you to see if it does play nice, if it's user friendly, and suits your needs. If not, uninstall and go on to the next one.

If asked to provide an email address for the trial, you can provide it. Often there will be an email sent to you toward the end of the trial with a special offer to entice you to purchase it.

I have Eset Smart Security on all my computers.

Of course there are free options as well, which have been mentioned by 2 other posters, which you should consider and maybe try.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 October 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Ask 10 people what is the best and you will get 10 different answers.
Since you ask about security suites that is what I will address.

I have Eset Smart Security on all my computers.
Of course there are free options as well, which have been mentioned by 2 other posters, which you should consider and maybe try.

All of the above from Queen-Evie is 100% correct and I will not add my personal options -

The only "Free Suite" as such, is MSE and their Firewall, since that is a "Suite" as mentioned above.

Otherwise you will change from company to company on a monthly basis (been there / done that), and never know if you are fully covered or if you removed all traces of the last program.

Even a daily scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SUPERAntiSpyware Free offers no "protection", just cleaning up after the event as mentioned by Roger -

For less than $30 Malwarebytes Pro version Lifetime License was, in my view, always the best add-on that any computer could have, even if you chose MSE and M/soft Firefall -

Just Mine -

#7 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

Thanks everyone. Giving Norton 360 a try then ESET and maybe one other. See which works best fir me. Really appreciate the time you took to reply. many thanks

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,384 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I always go over to independent antivirus review sites to take a look at how the top vendors look compared to one another. The av-test.org site appears to have updated information (monthly) that does a good job. I run Windows 8 with G-Data Internet Security 2014, Malwarebytes PRO, and WinPatrol.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,384 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users