Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 wont boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 drcapps

drcapps

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

I am running Windows 7 on HP Pavilion laptop. Windows will not start, it boots directly to windows error recovery. If I select  "Launch Startup Repair" it brings up a screen that says windows is loading files with the white progress bar at bottom, when it completes it goes to a black/blue screen and nothing else.  If I select "start windows normally" it brings up a screen that says starting windows and just hangs.  If I boot into advanced boot options and select "repair you computer" it brings up the windows loading files with the white progress bar, will then go briefly to a starting windows with the green progress bar, then directly to black/blue screen.  I created a windows 7 System Repair Disc from an indentical computer, booted the bad one to the repair disc. It went thru the Windows Loading Files (much longer than when attempting the "repair your computer earlier), then went to the black/blue screen.  I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed from here.

edit to add: Ran a Bitdefender Rescue CD which detected no virus

Edited by drcapps, 13 October 2013 - 09:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

I tried booting to the Windows 7 System Repair Disc again and a window that has opened, attaching a picture of window. Not sure if that's all it is going to do, do I need to leave it open or is that all it is going to do and I can shut off computer.

Attached Files

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

The fact that the repair disk failed to work means it is likely a problem with the hard disk itself. It might be that the master boot record is corrupted. If you can get to a command prompt from the repair disk, run the command   bootrec.exe /fixmbr.

If that doesn't work, there are bigger issues. Who manufactured the disk? Try going to their website and downloading the appropriate hard disk recovery/repair tool and running it from a disk.

#4 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

The recovery disk is actually doing something, just really slow.  Reached a window labeled "start up repair" this morning and has been "attempting repair" for approx. 6 hours.  How long should that take? (not hurrying it, just curious if this is normal or if it is locked up)

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

That seems a bit long. Is there a progress bar or percent counter? If there is some sort of progress indicator, be patient, unless it hangs up. If not and it doesn't finish in the next few hours, your hard drive may need to be replaced. 

#6 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

There is a scrolling blue bar that is still scrolling, no progress meter. 

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Did you try   bootrec.exe /fixmbr? if so, I'd say at this point your hard drive may be beyond repair. Salvage whatever personal files and folders that you can and replace the hard drive. :( Sorry the news isn't better.

#8 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have not tried bootrec.exe/fixmbr.  How would I do that?  Is it okay to cancel out of system repair or could it cause further damage?  There are files that I would like to try and retrieve, don't want to make it worse than it already is.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

The master boot record repair, bootrec.exe /fixmbr, is run from a command line prompt. However, that may or may not work at this point. You can cancel out of system repair -- if it gives you a warning message when you try to stop it, that's as good a sign as any that the hard drive is dead.

At this point, I'd say stop the repair if it hasn't stopped already, salvage what you can from the hard drive and replace it.

#10 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Okay, I left the repair running overnight, when I got up this morning it had "completed" and basically said unrepairable, so resigned to the fact that I have a bad hard drive.  I do have a SATA to USB cable, will try tonight to see if I can recover files that way.  There was no abnormal sounds coming from the bad drive and the light was indicating activity so hoping that this will be an easy recovery.  If not, I know there are alot of softwares out there than can be used to try and recover lost data.  Is there one in particular that you would recommend, preferably cheap, free would be even better LOL, but dont want to do any damage with a bad software when I could have spent a little money and had results.  Thanks for your help to date, I really appreciate it.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

You can use the SATA to USB cable and, provided you also have a power connector to provide power to the hard drive, you can just plug it into the USB port of a running computer. They make SATA power connectors that can just plug into an AC outlet.

The file directories should show up, just as if it were a USB stick or external hard drive. You can then copy over whatever files you want to keep onto the hard drive of the computer, or a flash drive, etc.

No need to purchase software unless the computer doesn't recognize the SATA drive, or the files are corrupted. Give the above a try first, and hold off buying software until it's clear you actually need it.

#12 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have the hard drive connected via SATA to USB connector.  When powered up you can hear the drive hum.  The drive will not show up in Windows Explorer.  If I go to Device Manager the drive shows up as a usb device under disk drives, Properties device status shows "this device is working properly".  All catagories under volumes are blank.  Any advice?

edited to add: hit the Populate button on the volumes tab under device properties, get the following:

Disk: Disk 1

Type: Basic

Partition Style: Master Boot Record (MBR)

Capacity: 476939 MB

Unallocated space: 0MB

Reserved space: 0MB

Edited by drcapps, 15 October 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#13 drcapps

drcapps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

I finally got it, had to go into computer management and force the drive online. Have files backed up. You can close this topic out, thanks for all of your help!!

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Outstanding. Great news about the files :thumbup2: , sorry about the hard drive. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users