Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail duplicating emails from same address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrsbeautiful05

mrsbeautiful05

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

I have been using WLM for several years now, and have had many problems with it. My recent problem seems to be that it likes to duplicate mail coming to the same address. The email will show up twice with the same time stamp and date. Also within the past few weeks I was getting spam mail from my contacts that I know would not send out to me. What could be causing this? I have since changed my password for my emails, and the spam has dissipated for now, but I get spam from other outside emails. I know that could be a matter of filtering. Is there anything I can do for this? I hope I've explained it enough.

Namaste!

Love & Light

:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

Check your Accounts settings -- Tools>Accounts>email account>Properties>Advanced. You may have two copies of the same account listed. Remove one of them.

If your antivirus program has an email scanning option, turn it off. Some antivirus programs don't cooperate well with Windows Live.

Who is the actual email provider? Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo? Check the settings for those as well.

As for getting spam from your contacts, that's not really something you can control. I'm sure your contacts aren't intentionlally sending it to you, and there may not be much they can do about it either. It's quite easy to spoof the sender's address to make it appear it is coming from someone your know. Or, their account may have been hacked. The only thing you can do is set the spam filters as high as possible and don't open anything that looks suspciious, regardless of who it comes from.

#3 mrsbeautiful05

mrsbeautiful05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ok, I checked my settings, and things were in order already. This is a good thing. My provider is hotmail. I may use the web server instead now, but things are normail as far as I can see from here. Thanks for your advice.

Namaste!

Love & Light

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Are you still getting duplicate emails? Or has that been resolved?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Sometimes double messages in your email client are due to mails with corrupt headers.

One or more of the headers for the e-mails currently residing on the server may be corrupted. The corrupted header will not harm your computer. It will often prevent downloading of mail sent after it.

Solution: The easiest solution, which can be time consuming if you have a lot of mail in the online inbox is to move all messages from your inbox to another folder in web mail access, and then move them back to the inbox one by one or in batches of 5 or so, downloading as you go. The message that fails to download is likely the corrupt one, and should be deleted or moved elsewhere if you wish to keep it. If you know when the issue started you can simply do the above with mail received a day or 2 before the start of the problem.

If this is not the cause of your issue I have no clue what else to try.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 October 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#6 mrsbeautiful05

mrsbeautiful05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Update!

I'm still getting duplicates. I haven't done the moving trick yet. So i'm pretty much stumped as to what move i should make next? I just noticed that it's happening on the web server too, not just on my phone mail. So maybe it's a computer or mail server problem? I didn't have multiple accounts set up either, with the same email address. I checked that.

Edited by mrsbeautiful05, 15 October 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Namaste!

Love & Light

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

So, just to clarify, when you log into Hotmail through a web browser, the duplicates are showing up there as well?

Are the duplicates all coming from the same domain -- this is, the part of the email address after the @ and usually ending in .com? Or are the duplicates coming from several different domains?

if the duplicates are all originating from just one domain, the problem is on their end and you should alert them to it. If the duplicates are coming from several different domains, then the issue is with Hotmail's servers. Unfortunately, Hotmail doesn't offer tech support from real people. This is the only real option you have to contact them: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook-help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users