Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Disable Pestpatrol From Startup?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

I can't, for the life of me, remember how to disable it temporarily from startup.
I read PP Help, I'm sure it's there, but I can't find it.
I looked on the old (non-CA site), can't find it.
Looked here, nothing ... perhaps I need new glasses.

I definitely don't want to uninstall and reinstall. In the system tray is a way to Unload. But I think next startup it'll come back. I need to be able to enable again manually when I'm done doing some other stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

If you have Spybot installed, use its startup tool to disable and then re-enable it, unless of course you can do it right from the program itself.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 28 April 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

You can use Autoruns.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

Click on the Pest Patrol icon on the taskbar .
Open Pest Patrol. Go to Advanced Settings, and then go in Active Protection. De-select the "Start active protection when my computer starts" Hit Apply > Okay.
Reboot.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

quietman7 - I thought it would be something like that too, but I just don't see it :thumbsup: Perhaps the new CA paid version has it? Mine is old (but updates run just fine).

So I may have to do the spybot trick jgweed suggested - gee why didn't I think of it?

Mr Alpha, The sysinternals thing I'm not familiar with, but thanks for the link. Their apps are usually so simple to use, I'd gotta have a look.

With the usual great help from this site, I'm good to go. Thanks to all!!

Edited by tos226, 28 April 2006 - 09:14 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

The main PestPatrol program is only active when the window is open. Other PestPatrol components may be running in the background; such as PPControl, PPMemCheck and CookiePatrol. These components can be stopped and started rather than disabled.

The best way to control these components, is to have PPControl running in the system tray and when you require one of them to be stopped, double-click on PPControl and select the component you wish to stop, and choose "stop" and to re-activate, choose "start". For visiting certain websites, it may be only CookiePatrol you need to stop, to prevent the deletion of spyware cookies which are essential to the operation of that website.

To stop all running PestPatrol components, double-click on PPControl and select "Unload", this will ask if you want to stop other PestPatrol components which are running. Select "Yes" and all PestPatrol components will be stopped until you manually restart them or reboot.

The 'Options - Automatic Scans' tab allows you to control which components are loaded at boot. If PPControl is not already running, you can activate it from here.

pestpatrol.com/Support
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:01 PM

quietman7,
Unload does just that until next startup, so I know this wasn't it. But the tail end of your quote is right on the money.

I think knowing that I don't do "Automatic scans" I may well have skipped looking there. But that's PRECISELY what I need. It's that INVOKE ON BOOT on the three controls that will stop it from starting. I'm looking at it as we speak. Million thanks, and sorry for being dense or blind or whatever :thumbsup: Thanks for your patience!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

Your welcome.