Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any cheap way to copy an entire hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jefferysitz

jefferysitz

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I am running Win XP SP3 and have a 300 GB hard drive that is going south.   It is split into 3 particians, one windows, one data, and one games.  I am not sure of my backup status, so am not willing to put all my faith in my external drive right now.

I tried backing it up to an external (I know, I should have done that sooner) but at some point I got a BSOD.  I have tried rebooting a couple of times and it hangs shortly after the "loading win xp" screen goes by.

I remember years ago, Maxtor, and maybe others, included a utility with a new hard drive that would completely copy the old one, partitions and all.  I wondered if they still did or if there was a bootable disk alternative for a low price, I cannot afford ghost.

Chkdsk hung at 50 % and I am pretty sure at least my Windows partition is corrupt.  What I was thinking of was trying to copy the entire disk to a new one then reinstall Windows leaving my data particians intact.

Appreciate any help if there is a program out there and comments as to whether my idea of copying a corrupt drive would even work to begin with.

Thanks

Jeffery Sitz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Cavalry "Retriever" Series EN-CAHDD2BU3C-ZB 2.5" & 3.5" Black Standalone SATA Hard Drive Duplicator + USB 3.0 Dual-Bay Dock - $49.99

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi

If your drive is either Seagate or Western digital, you don't need to purchase any commercial software. Both companies provides their own version of critically acclaimed cloning program Acronis  which is known for it's reliability.

For Western digital drives : http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

One of the drive should be Western Digital (either source or destination )

For Seagate drives : http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/discwizard-master-dl/

One of the drive should be Seagate or Maxtor (either source or destination )

Both do have bootable recovery medias which can be used to clone hard drives.

How to use Seagate Disc wizard :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TflMQccerbY

How to use Acronis Western Digital Edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-EwXwIdDo

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 October 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi

If your drive is either Seagate or Western digital, you don't need to purchase any commercial software. Both companies provides their own version of critically acclaimed cloning program Acronis  which is known for it's reliability.

I'm currently using Acronis. I haven't used other programs to clone my drive so I've got nothing to compare it too, but it's been easy to use so far. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Macrium Reflect Free...does the job for any partition or any drive.  So will Easeus Partition Master Free.

Of course...since it appears that the drive already has corrupted/damaged some files...the result of cloning now may be totally useless, with the result being a clone that is a bunch of damaged files that may or may not be bootable.  Been there, done that.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

Parted Magic works where sometimes Acronis fails as it can copy individual partitions to separate disks ignoring other partitions... and a mob of other great stuff.

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

A true hardware-based duplicator will ignore the 'structure' and simply copy all of the "0"'s and "1"'s from one drive to the other . . . a duplicate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users