Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hello ,

COMPUTE SPECS:

Motherboard : ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX

Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6770 | 800 Stream Processors - 1GB - 128-bit - GDDR5  (633897-ZH1PCI)

Processor : AMD FX-Series FD4170FRGUBOX (Zambezi Quad-Core FX-4170 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo))

INTRO:

I was looking to get a higher bit-rate video card, and was looking at the SAPPHIRE 100311-3L Radeon HD 6970, but is now discontinued.

My hardship is that my motherboard only has a PCI Express 2.0 x16, which makes it more difficult to find a decent card (that isn't $400.00+).

The Sapphire in the link above would have been perfect for the update i was looking for (double ram and bit-rate).

QUESTION:

Does anyone know of a video card similar to the Sapphire listed above? the current video card handles decently, but does lack at certain high points.

(IE: playing SC2 with 2vAI,game starts to lag with the excess in units on the map).

An update may not completely fix this issue, but will certainly help, not to mention the card i currently use has one small fan, and does get loud quickly.

CONCLUSION:

Im not as familiar with the newer video card brands, so I'm not sure how the stack up to the ones i am familiar with.

If there is a GeForce card that will work that is fine; im not opposed to using a GeForce or AMD video card.

Please let me know if i need to clarify or add anything.

~Thank you for your time

-daic

EDIT :

I may have placed this in the wrong section; Can this be moved to the System Building and Upgrading section of the forum (if applicable)?

~Sorry for the inconvience

-daic

Edited by daic, 13 October 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Any new PCI-E video card will work fine.  Don't let the "3.0" throw you.  New cards are fully backwards compatible.

I just pulled a 6970 out of my old gaming rig, good card.  I don't know your exact budget, but  you can find R9 270X based cards for ~$200, or R9 280X cards around the $300 mark.  The 270 is essentially a tweaked  AMD 7950, the 280X is a tweaked 7970 GPU.

Look around.  AMD just released their refresh/rehash so there are a lot of reviews out there.  NVidia is rehashing their current lineup so no new performance gains there. Actually, except for the forthcoming R9 290X from AMD, everything this time around is a rehash of last years GPUs. 

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Any new PCI-E video card will work fine.  Don't let the "3.0" throw you.  New cards are fully backwards compatible.

I just pulled a 6970 out of my old gaming rig, good card.  I don't know your exact budget, but  you can find R9 270X based cards for ~$200, or R9 280X cards around the $300 mark.  The 270 is essentially a tweaked  AMD 7950, the 280X is a tweaked 7970 GPU.

Look around.  AMD just released their refresh/rehash so there are a lot of reviews out there.  NVidia is rehashing their current lineup so no new performance gains there. Actually, except for the forthcoming R9 290X from AMD, everything this time around is a rehash of last years GPUs. 

Thanks for your reply.

I had not relized they were backwards compatible, should have checked into that first.

As for the budget, i was looking to spend up to $200 (or so) depending on the features, as i will most likely have to upgrade my power supply (current is a 330W i believe).

Which Manufacturer would you go with?

~Thanks again

-daic

Edited by daic, 13 October 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hard to recommend a brand.    I have never had bad luck with video cards, unless I ruined them myself while attaching a new cooler (many years ago).  Shop for features and warranty.   I have never had an RMA with any video card yet after 19 years of doing this, so I cannot comment on that.

2 vs 3 vs 4 gigabyte.  This is where your configuration of display and the speed of the card will come into play.  2 gigs of memory will get you through any task on a 1920X1080(1200) monitor.  If you are buying a card at a $200 price point, then you don't really have enough horsepower to drive a higher resolution at playable frame rates, so a 2-4 gig card might be not so useful.  Some specs look great on paper, but in the real world don't mean so much.  On the other hand if you have a nice 27" 2560 x 1440 you might have some problems gaming with a 2 gig card and all of the eye candy on.

Agreed, you will need a new power supply.  550-600 watts would be plenty (a little overkill, but hey), closer to 600 for future upgrade possibilities.  Don't cheap out on a power supply.  It is the most basic of components and when they act up, they cause problems that can be a PITA to diagnose.

Well, I got to go get the grill cleaned and fired up for our football gathering tonight.  See all of ya'll tomorrow.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hard to recommend a brand.    I have never had bad luck with video cards, unless I ruined them myself while attaching a new cooler (many years ago).  Shop for features and warranty.   I have never had an RMA with any video card yet after 19 years of doing this, so I cannot comment on that.

2 vs 3 vs 4 gigabyte.  This is where your configuration of display and the speed of the card will come into play.  2 gigs of memory will get you through any task on a 1920X1080(1200) monitor.  If you are buying a card at a $200 price point, then you don't really have enough horsepower to drive a higher resolution at playable frame rates, so a 2-4 gig card might be not so useful.  Some specs look great on paper, but in the real world don't mean so much.  On the other hand if you have a nice 27" 2560 x 1440 you might have some problems gaming with a 2 gig card and all of the eye candy on.

Agreed, you will need a new power supply.  550-600 watts would be plenty (a little overkill, but hey), closer to 600 for future upgrade possibilities.  Don't cheap out on a power supply.  It is the most basic of components and when they act up, they cause problems that can be a PITA to diagnose.

Well, I got to go get the grill cleaned and fired up for our football gathering tonight.  See all of ya'll tomorrow.

Thanks again for your reply.

I will most likely be going with a 550W power supply (wont be upgrading this computer any further).

The setup it has now is decent, just want a little more out of the video card, which will cost about $270 total with power supply and taxes/shipping.

Should using a PCI-E 3.0 in a PCI-E 2.0 slot weigh in my purchase? Does it slow the card down any? perhaps making it best to pay for the R9 280X over the R9 270X?

[I wouldn't think it's that much of a difference, but not sure, if so, i would still opt for the 270X and wait to upgrade to new PC down the line.]

~Thanks again for your time

-daic

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I will most likely be going with a 550W power supply (wont be upgrading this computer any further).

The setup it has now is decent, just want a little more out of the video card, which will cost about $270 total with power supply and taxes/shipping.

Should using a PCI-E 3.0 in a PCI-E 2.0 slot weigh in my purchase? Does it slow the card down any? perhaps making it best to pay for the R9 280X over the R9 270X?

[I wouldn't think it's that much of a difference, but not sure, if so, i would still opt for the 270X and wait to upgrade to new PC down the line.]

-daic

If I was in your position, I would do absolutely the same thing.  Upgrade my video card to something top tier, and a good power supply as those components can be carried over to a new motherboard/cpu/memory refresh later on in 2014.  I tend to tick-tock my upgrades.  Really good video card at one upgrade, then next year a new CPU/motherboard/memory, next year, new near top end video card.

Don't get hung up on PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0, it don't make much, if any difference.  By the time it does, you will have already upgraded your current motherboard anyway (most likely).  There are some comparisons:  http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/5#.UlwXk3oo6zk  Go to page one of that article if you are interested, good read.

It is a bit of an odd time in the videocard world.  Except for the very top end stuff, (NVidia GTX 780, Titan) (AMD R9 290X), everything is a rehash of last years hardware.  Instead of having a complete new series of GPUs introduced over a few weeks/months, we will have some new top end hardware now, everything else is on hold for almost 3 quarters (Late summer 2014 according to more than one source).  Everything will have new names and numbers, but the basic hardware/GPU is the same thing that was for sale 12 months ago with minor tweaks.

Long story short, whatever you invest in a vidocard now, will hold you for awhile as there isn't any new miracle GPU on the immediate horizon.  What you invest depends on your wallet, and your monitor.  AMD is holding off on their top end offering (which is supposed to be comparable to a GTX780 or Titan) until NVidia decides on their target prices (and whether they will release a full uncrippled Titan).  AMD is about to drop a new GPU, but wants to get their price right (maximize profit).

#7 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

-daic

If I was in your position, I would do absolutely the same thing.  Upgrade my video card to something top tier, and a good power supply as those components can be carried over to a new motherboard/cpu/memory refresh later on in 2014.  I tend to tick-tock my upgrades.  Really good video card at one upgrade, then next year a new CPU/motherboard/memory, next year, new near top end video card.

Don't get hung up on PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0, it don't make much, if any difference.  By the time it does, you will have already upgraded your current motherboard anyway (most likely).  There are some comparisons:  http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/5#.UlwXk3oo6zk  Go to page one of that article if you are interested, good read.

It is a bit of an odd time in the videocard world.  Except for the very top end stuff, (NVidia GTX 780, Titan) (AMD R9 290X), everything is a rehash of last years hardware.  Instead of having a complete new series of GPUs introduced over a few weeks/months, we will have some new top end hardware now, everything else is on hold for almost 3 quarters (Late summer 2014 according to more than one source).  Everything will have new names and numbers, but the basic hardware/GPU is the same thing that was for sale 12 months ago with minor tweaks.

Long story short, whatever you invest in a vidocard now, will hold you for awhile as there isn't any new miracle GPU on the immediate horizon.  What you invest depends on your wallet, and your monitor.  AMD is holding off on their top end offering (which is supposed to be comparable to a GTX780 or Titan) until NVidia decides on their target prices (and whether they will release a full uncrippled Titan).  AMD is about to drop a new GPU, but wants to get their price right (maximize profit).

Thanks again for replying!

Well put information.

I should have looked into the PCE2.0-3.0 item myself, would have made the start of this much easier (i overlooked backwards compatibility for this slot for whatever reason).

if this system is still running when i do a new build ill most likely be purchasing all new parts for it.

Monitors are 23" 1920x1080 and other is 1600x900. Main monitor isn't anything special, probably around $130 monitor now a days, decent but not best.

Other is just a basic monitor.

And on occasion i HDMI connect to a 60" plasma TV.

Nothing special. (New monitor will come with new build for higher resolution gaming.)

Looking at the $200 range video cards, heres 4 with slitly different pricing, is there any real different between them? Im seeing same direct x 11.2 etc for each.

Understandably there is a brand cost difference, but is that all there is? A difference in Overclocking ability (not a feature i use with this setup)?

Maybe the minor difference in Core Clock/Boot Clock speed?

ASUS @ $209

Sapphire @ $219

HIS @ $219

MSI @ $230

Thanks again for repaying, your time is appreciated.

~daic

Edit: Im thinking the MSI has little higher quality in a few parts to help keep the card running longer, ASUS is usually lower but decent, Sapphire are decent also, HIS will assume is the same (smaller company little higher price)

Thats what ive got so far, will update if i see something different.

Edited by daic, 16 October 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#8 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

Went with

ASUS

OCZ 600W

Edited by daic, 17 October 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users