Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start button for Win8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I just bought a new laptop the other day and WOW!!!!  

I'm not liking WIN8.

I'm really missing the start button on the bottom left of the screen.

I see there are fixes for this but not sure which is safe to go with.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 October 2013 - 09:51 AM.
removed language

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Classic Shell is a good program to use for your start menu. Please read this tutorial for more information and download link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

I second Queen-Evie's suggestion. Classic Shell is what I use with Windows 8. The price is right, Free. It takes me right to the desktop upon start-up. I have not seen any problems with it since I installed it.

It makes Windows 8 look and work like Windows 7 with minor changes and leave the Windows 8 Improvements. An example that I see, is when I copy or move files I see a graph of the speed while the operation is running.

I have not yet run across a program that I use under Windows 7 that does not run under Windows 8 excluding certain utilities and of course my install disk for the Antivirus. I had to get the updated version of the Antivirus.

You should have no problems and will love the changes.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 October 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Classic Shell, Stardock Software's Start8 with their Modern Mix.  Even when 8.1 comes out, you still end up with the same interface as 8, so you have to update the Desktop add-on, to get back the original All Programs, as what was in Win7.

Have not heard from those playing with Server 2k12 yet, how the add-ons are working, to get around the Metro interface.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Stardock Start8 is free to for 30 days. After that you will have to purchase if you want to keep using it. Right now the price is $4.99 (I am assuming that's US dollars)

#6 PrashantKumar96

PrashantKumar96

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I would recommend you to wait for Windows 8.1 as it has Start button (but not the Start menu), its coming on 18th Oct. so wait few days more. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 for Windows 8 users will be free and after that you will have a start button in taskbar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users