Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download Windows Authentication

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Happy01

Happy01

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

After many day of trying work thru installing SP2, I logged on to do a windows update. Naturally the process started and downloading appeared to be trying to download windows authentication program. After awhile message like "cannot install windows authentication". Any ideas? I could probably go thru a tech link on windows download area, but don't know which programs to manually update.

thnx
happy :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

Here's some information about it. If you have problems, you may have to call Microsoft. If you have the original, legal XP CD, complain loudly.

Are you using Internet Explorer? It will probably fail to validate using Firefox or another browser.

#3 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

Okay. Originally I tried to install SP2 from the website. Would not work. I then ordered the CD from Microsoft and tried installing. It would not work. I read somewhere about installing Media player 10 which would resolve issues. Sure enough I installed Media player 10 and I could then install SP2 from the official and genuine microsoft CD. Just cannot pdate from website.

Yes, I am attempting install on internet explorer.
thanks

#4 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

Oh thanks for the link describing genuine windows. I have been using this genuine windows for three years now. I also know that many genuine windows users are having this problem.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

WHere did you get your legal copy of Windows? It was not at a computer show was it? Actually it doesnot matter because Microsoft thinks it is Hacked and as far as they are concerned it is Hacked. Until you convince them that it is legal and get a good key code or authentication you are screwed ROYALLY.

This is a link about the program:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...?referrer=email

Read and enjoy. and you bought it thinking it was I suggest watching where you buy your software from now on. PS this story above is only the beguining other Microsoft products are on the way they have already started with illegal copies of Office. Now you ca use Open Office 2.0.2 it is great.

#6 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

Well, I am glad that Microsoft is being so vigilant about denying piracy. The only problem is, my copy came installed so I suppose I need to be concerned with Hewlett Packard now. Maybe HP went to a computer trade show and installed a few hundred copies on models they sold unwhittingly to the public. They probably managed to create the replica of the windows seal and key code on the bottom of my computer too.

Now, I am just looking for the fix. Assuming I have a factory installed copy of XP I am looking to correct the problem I am having in upgrading windows. Maybe Microsoft has a few glitches in the "authentication" software?

thnx :thumbsup:

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

I am sorry that you have to have an attitude like that. I will explain about hacking. About 3 years or so ago we had some computer shows at our local fairgrounds. Well one day here comes Microsoft with its good buddies the Federal Bureau OfInvestigation. They went thru the computer show and confiscated a lot of computers, like Compaq's HP's and others along with Pirated software. and other assorted illegal stuff. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings in anyway heaven knows I really did not want to do that. I have an article for you to read.

This is from Washington Post:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...?referrer=email

Have a good one, and if you think it is anything other than this problem you are talking to the wrong forum you should be talking to Microsoft tech support, it is their problem with Windows Update. Oh it works just fine on my computer.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:45 PM

Actually a friend of mine just had a similar problem and went to Microsoft for help so I guess it is only right to try and pass it on. Please try this link and go thru the download. Oh if you are refused it is because Microsoft thinks you have an illigitamate copy of their operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

You have to go thru a verification with this. Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Happy01, let's assume you have a legal copy. Do you have a firewall? Is it possible that your firewall permissions need tweaking to permit the check for genune advantage and to permit downloads? If not firewall, perhaps some other good and solid protection product you use is causing you a problem. Just a thought. I know I had to change few things before it worked. I never, however, got anything resembling any suspicion of Windows or Office not being legit (also came with the computer), so my experience may well be different.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

I also know that many genuine windows users are having this problem.

Yes, I noticed that when searching for information. It's a pretty good percentage.

#11 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

TOS266, thank you for the constructive advice. I will check the firewall and see if that is an issue.
Had to replace a hard drive a couple months ago and after restoring hard drive have had difficulty with both installing service pack 2 and microsoft updates. The authentication presents on both the custom and the critical update prompts. It would be alot easier to do the automatic than go thru the tech entrance and download individually everything.

thanx

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

Have you tried disabling the firewall and anti virus...and then install the SP2?

You should be able to verify ownership with the information on the case of you computer.

Bottoml line...call M$ and sort it out with them. You paid the price of admission, go see the elephant.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Okay ThorXP,

I downloaded the WIndows Installer 3.1 v2 from the link you provided. The authentication wnet through and to my amazement, it verified that I have a genuine version of XP. The PC can now download updates from Microsoft. Thank you!

(BTW did not have to disable virus or firewall to do this exercise) :thumbsup:

#14 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

Hey Happy01, Thank you and that makes me happy also. I am glad you are ok.

cya l8r

ThorXP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users