Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I install update KB2862330

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

Just like the last lot of windows updates, Tuesdays updates also included a non checked important update, this time it's KB2862330.  After doing a search on it I see that it has been causing people problems.  I love it how Microsoft leave it there but unchecked, I'm pretty sure they know more about windows than me so if they don't know if I should install it how am I supposed to know?

I just wanted to see if others think it should be installed, if I wait will they eventually fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well I allowed this update along with several others and as of this writing there are no issues.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

You should read this article before deciding to allow this update.

Microsoft Confirms KB2862330 Windows 7 Update Problems

I have this update installed on my computer, no discernible problems yet, but the day is young. 

Edited by dc3, 13 October 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for the advice, personally I'm not sure what to do yet.

#5 r2rnot

r2rnot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

While this update may not hit everyone, it slammed me hard. The first boot up said mbr_error_1. Then BSOD. The disc structure was so damaged it couldn't see the restoration points. After two days of trying every kind of utility, boot option, restoring partition, etc, I gave up and had to reinstall hundreds of utilities, programs and fonts. It takes about 20 hours just to install what I need on my computer.

The initial alerts didn't specify KB2862330-- in fact it was another update that originally got blamed. I blocked the first update with a warning but this one sneaked back in the group (original installation discs means hundreds of updates). Same thing happened again. Another 20 hours of installation and several more hours identifying all the possible causes. Before the second installation I found a list of all the 10-8-13 updates and have been blocking them as they come up.

My boot disc doesn't have any data on it. But, the programs were affected twice in a period of 10 days and still MS has this nasty thing on the download list. And still they don't have a cure for it. The safest thing anyone can do is not accept any 10-8-13 update. No one knows if the issue is a combination of updates, just this one update, is it related to USB3 ports?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users