Anecdotal (1 PC only), but real fix. wXPhome, old dell tower-but fairly fast nonetheless. Friend could not access the net at all, kept getting the typical ransomware msgs. This is on 11oct13.
-Due to previous malware repair, I had installed MSE, mbam & SAS. On the previous prob. MSE was not there, & put in after the fact. I used RKill then & MSE overcame the malware after. This time - no need to run RKill. Booted to admin (full boot not f8), MSE found av security pro ransomware & got rid of it, or at least allowed internet access (it kept cleaning x3 incidents, hence the doubt). Updated mbam free ran it. It found about 27 pieces of malware & got rid of them, incl. medfos. Ran SAS. It found about 200 spyware "pieces." This only took about 1/2 hour! I'm as surprised as you are.