Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activate windows 7 online check box

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hey everyone, i was curious about when doing a clean install of windows on an OEM machine, (using a disc burned iso image). should you insert the COA sticker key and leave the checkbox of automatically activate windows 7 while online box? I heard that may not work. Or should you just leave the box checked and not insert a key? I have also been told to not check that box at all. I know about backing up activation and what not, but im asking in a hypthetical situation if windows would not boot at all. What would you do to activate an OEM machine? It all has me bit confused whether you need to insert a key AND check that box, or you can insert a key without checking the box and vice versa. Any help is appreciated

Thankyou!

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Any .iso image of Windows 7...is bound to be an illegal effort.  Any website that claims otherwise....ought to be able to provide guidance for installing/using said download of Windowsl...thereby answering your question.

You take the basic risks of malware and other system misfortunes...when using such illegal downloads, obviously...since you don't know who prepared the .iso file and what else may have been inserted into the .iso.

OEMs use recovery partitions and disks...to provide their customers with the capability of reinstalling Windows.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 October 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#3 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

louis, thanks for your reply and input. i burned the iso from a retail copy of windows 7, so i do know that it is safe.  i was just kind of looking for some guidance on the activation checkbox, is it good to leave that left checked? or better to leave it unchecked and activate later on.

a question about what you said though, i have read and heard from members on here that digitalriver is a safe place to get windows 7 iso from. they are free but without valid product keys they are worthless

thank you

Edited by acerts04, 13 October 2013 - 12:45 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

<<...is it good to leave that left checked? or better to leave it unchecked and activate later on.>>

I don't believe it matters one bit.

If the O/S being installed...has the generic drivers for the NIC...it will activate immediately.

If the NIC drivers are not accessible immediately...Windows will give you the PA nag screen.

The difference is a matter of minutes...since a user WILL have to activate and in order to activate, the NIC drivers must be installed.

Unless a user wants to do a telephonic activation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users