Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does AVG conflict with Maleware Bytes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 britnilinda

britnilinda

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have the full paid for version of AVG plus full paid Maleware Bytes.
Do they conflict with one another. I am getting different opinions for this! some say that they do others point out Maleware Bytes fills from the gaps. Should I recently run the AVG or will it be okay to have both please.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 October 2013 - 01:58 AM.
Moved to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi -

The 2 programs will usually run with no problems, but Malwarebytes FAQ has some help if it is needed.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&page=1#entry167851
Post #8 in the Malwarebytes FAQ (above) usually covers any problems that you may have.

Thank You -

#3 PrashantKumar96

PrashantKumar96

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

I don't know about others (and I respect their opinion) but I have always recommended not to use two Real Time Protection softwares at a time (even if it is  Malwarebytes Pro and its support says Malwarebytes doesn't conflict with installed antivirus). I have myself seen two antiviruses conflicting with each other and I have seen some reports of MBAM conflicting also. However, using Malwarebytes Free is an excellent choice.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Whether or not there will be conflicts depends on each specific system and what version of AVG you are using. The Section H FAQ relating to issues with AVG was created in 2009 and applicable to earlier versions of that anti-virus up to and including AVG Free 2011. Newer versions of AVG may not be causing the same problem, however, the exclusion of Malwarebytes files/folders should still work in principle for those having problems but the settings to configure the exclusions may be different now.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Are you all talking about running the two at the same time like a, "double protection", where both are actively running ?

If you don't mind another question, I am working with AVG and have recommended the free version to my friend, . .

I use AVG free 2013, . and have email scans so it scans my email, . . I noticed that the 2014 free-version has email protection

unchecked. So, is the email protection out for 2014 ? If so can I advise my friend to use 2013, is that still available ?

Best Regards,

Jove

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Are you all talking about running the two at the same time like a, "double protection", where both are actively running ?

Yes...the OP in this topic has the full paid version of Malwarebytes Pro which includes real-time protection.

I use AVG free 2013...and have email scans so it scans my email...I noticed that the 2014 free-version has email protection unchecked. So, is the email protection out for 2014 ? If so can I advise my friend to use 2013, is that still available ?

I don't use AVG so I wouldn't know if they removed email protection in 2014. If protection is unchecked and you are not permitted to check it, then I would suspect its an attempt to get users to purchase the paid version if they like that feature.

I have been disappointed with AVG and have not recommended it ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

Since the release of AVG 2011/2012/2013, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings. I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

#7 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thank you Quietman,

It is a lot to consider but I will do so, . .and pass it on

however the last time I used MBAM, if I am not mistaken it did not pick up on

Trojan horse Zbot.CIJ

but AVG did, so I can't say they are all bad because I really can't blame them for the infection, . .so I guess I'll keep using both,

I run AVG and additionally scan with MBAM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Just remember that AVG is an anti-virus program and Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program. Thus, they both look for and detect different things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users