Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee - detects nothing? leads to yahoo?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alagrange

alagrange

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Windows 8

I use Mcafee, and unlike Malwarebytes or Ccleaner, it hasnever detected anything like babylon, tarma installer, delta search and similar.

Is it of any real use?

In addition I have the impression that it tries to lead to yahoo instead of goggle: I get pop-up messages to make yahoo my default search engine insted of goggle, and I suspect of Mcafee.

Any information on this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well McAfee is anti-virus not Anti-Spyware and the items you mentioned fall into the category of unwanted programs or spyware. Malwarebytes is good for that, and I do not recommend CCleaner.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

Although McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If you do a Google Search you will find there have been numerous complaints about it affecting system performance. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative as a replacement. McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same virus definition updates. You may want to consider removing your current anti-virus and activating it. For more information, please read Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQss.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
-- Note: The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on each one and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

Please download Junkware Removal Tool thisisujrt.gif and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 PrashantKumar96

PrashantKumar96

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

Antiviruses have certain norms which decide whether it will detect a specific program as PUP or not. Maybe this white paper from McAfee can give some clue:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/white-papers/wp-potentially-unwanted-programs-spyware-adware.pdf

And McAfee does detect PUPs if you have PUP scanning enabled.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

If you doubt that McAfee is functioning correctly, you can do the EICAR test.

Download the EICAR test file from here:

http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

McAfee should detect it when you save it. But don't worry, it is not malware, it is a testfile for AV products.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 alagrange

alagrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

1) then how do I set Mcafee to delete PUPs?

2) I have identified the registry entries related to PUPs that I believe I have fully deleted. Can I delete them manually, at least all the values different to "default"?

again in microsoft forum they told me that I ran risks both deleting or not deleting them.

Here is a list

virusOct13red.doc

Edited by alagrange, 17 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

1) then how do I set Mcafee to delete PUPs?

I don't use McAfee. If a McAfee user does not reply, you can always check with McAfee Technical Support or ask at McAfee Communities.

That information may also be in their User Guides.
McAfee System Protection User Guide
Mcafee Internet Security User Guide

In Post #3 I provided tools you can use. Both of them detect and remove the most commonly found Adware, Toolbars, PUPs, Homepage Hijackers, junkware and their related files, registry entries.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

When I used McAfee back before I found MSE, I found that it automatically detected and took care of PUP's without setting an option, but that could have changed with recent versions of the software.

What version of McAfee are you using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users