Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Really Need A Hardware Techs Help On This One

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

I turned off my computer (Vista Home Premium 64BIT) and when I went to turn it on, the power button will light up and blink slowly but the computer will not start?

There is no 'spin up'?

Holding down the power button, (sometimes for almost 30 seconds) will shut the pc down but no matter how often I try to power on .. All I get is the slow blinking power button?

I've unplugged the pc for as long as a day .. same results!

The pc did this exact same thing last week but after shutting it down for an hour .. It started normally!?

Does this indicate a dead psu (power source)?
(power unit fan doesn't start?)

I've had harddrives go but the psu would still start up?

I have no idea where to go from here?

The slow blinking power button is exactly what the computer does in sleep mode but it wasn't in sleep mode?
(I shut it down)

Mouse movement nor keyboard movement has no effect.
(Just in case it somehow goes into sleep mode when powering on?)

PSU?
Other hardware?

I can't even insert a rescue disc because .. nothing but the blinking power light comes on!

I went into the case to look around and found this black and white wire connector with a GP tag.

I looked for hours and couldn't find a place where it might connect?

It may not have been connected in the first place.

The connector end was laying under the processor fan and there is no place for a connection anywhere near there?

As (I hope) my pictures show .. the wires are .. one black and one white.
(two 'tiny' little slots for pin connection)

28i9kjs.jpg

The other end of the wire runs under my cards and connects to the far right of that white connector you can see at the bottom left.

2ijm6q9.jpg

Looks like it connects to the motherboard?

I REALLY need some advice on this one folks!

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

How about some hardware specs, pic of power supply label?  What motherboard, or brand/model if a prebuilt?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

That slow blinking light on your tower, you say the computer does that even when you have it turned completely off? Does that blinking light stay there if you remove the power cord from your computer? Sometimes, you can have the computer set to a setting to when you press the power button on the computer, instead of turning off the computer like it normally does, it will put it to sleep, or hibernate. So, that being said, please make sure you are actually turning OFF the machine. Also, check your monitor connection and make sure the monitor is working properly.

That was all just some insight. Please provide the info dpunisher requested.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Might also try replacing the mobo battery. Doesn't cost much, and I have found in past when the mobo battery is dead, you get no video whatsoever.

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Thank You all for your responses!!

No the blinking light hapens only when the pc is plugged in.

I replaced the CMOS battery if that is the one you mean?

No change.

The machine is a Gateway FX4710-UB802A Desktop Computer

As for specs .. This is a link to the specs from Gateway.

motherboard http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006259R/4006259Rsp2.shtml

processor http://support.gateway.com/s/Processors/4506568R/4506568Rsp2.shtml

I had to swap out the 9800 video card for a cheapo (210)

I also changed the power supply long ago to an Antec BP500U model.

If the power supply is good .. wouldn't the fan start, regardless of other problems?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

psu working but no fan or bios beep = blown mobo

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

psu working but no fan or bios beep = blown mobo

This problem is driving me nuts!

Again after sitting unplugged overnight .. The pc is running again!?

I KNOW that when I shut down though .. It Will Not start right back up!

Minimum of 12 hours downtime before it will boot again!

It will run perfectly now (and has been) for hours on end without a glitch!?

If it were the PSU .. The psu Would Have to Shut Down in the 6 to 8 hours that I am running?

Same with a bad MoBo, capacitor.. any hardware failure?

I just don't get it!

I can run for hours now but on shutdown .. back to the slow blinking power button!?

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

component needs cooling before it will start again. it will just pull up and never start again one of these days, you won't (or are unlikely to) be able to start it too many more times I reckon. some silly little jumper thing that makes the whole board start seems likely... bad mobo

edit: ask me again, I'll tell you the same thing.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 October 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

MrClose, when you speculated that your PSU was bad, I expect you were correct. That's far more likely than a defective MOBO. It's common for people with minimal technical competency to confuse a power supply that will light some lights and spin the fans with one that's working correctly, but that's not necessarily true. A low 12V circuit to the mainboard will prevent the system from booting, because the CPU is getting insufficient voltage. And, in fact, that seems to be about the most common issue with failing power supplies.

Well, you can check this with a power supply tester, but frankly, I'd probably just buy a new power supply, plug it up, and see if that doesn't cure your ills. Just buy it from someplace you can return the PSU if it doesn't work out.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

One other quick suggestion. While it is running make backups and keep them updated in case it does die.

having backups is much easier than having to work to get them off of the hard drive if the computer dies.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users