Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden lag in initial access to internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

I have a PC (PC # 1) running Win XP (SP3) and connected to the internet via a cabled connection to a router.  There are two other computers connected to the same router (PC # 2 and # 3).

For four years, PC # 1 has connected to the internet quickly and reliably, using Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and SSH Secure Shell Client.  About two weeks ago, it started to take about a minute to connect to the internet for the initial connection after a restart or after a resume from standby.  The second and later connections ware as rapid as before.  Connections to the internet from PC # 2 and PC # 3 have not been affected, i.e., they have taken as long as they did before.

So I assume it's something about PC # 1, or its connection to the network, that is causing the lag, not something about the router.

Here's what I've tried:

- powered off and restarted the router (even though I don't suspect it, for reasons mentioned)

- ran full scans with MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Spybot S & D; an unusually large amount of malicious items were found and removed, but there was no improvement in the problem described here

- using different programs for the initial connection to the internet (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, SSH Secure Shell Client)

None of those things have helped.

Are there any tests or things I could check (e.g. in Task Manager) to try to figure out what's causing the problem?

Though I'm posting this to the Networking forum, I guess it might be a Win XP issue; let me know if you think I should try there first.

Thanks,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

Flush DNS
Report IE Proxy Settings
Reset IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
Reset FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

ALso can you please post the logs from your malware scans as they maybe relevant in your issues.

Edited by cryptodan, 12 October 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Dear Cryptodan,

Thanks for suggesting this.  As I ran the program, I saw the hosts file was extremely large (in lines).  The hosts files included several copies of the same info, due to some manual editing I'd done on it about a month ago.  I reduced the hosts file to its normal size, and the lag in initial network access went away.

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users