Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive letter assignment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tostito98

tostito98

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hey everyone! Here's what the situation is:

I have a brand new hard drive. I set up a Dell Utility partition using the disk from Dell. Once that was done, I installed Windows XP Home on the unallocated partition. Everything set up just fine, but now the hard drive doesn't have the letter assignment I want. If you do the DISKPART command, the partition with Windows on it shows as C. When you boot your system and actually use Windows though, the hard drive shows up as I. Why don't they match? I want my drive to be C. What do I need to do to change it to C? I know I can't use the disk management tool because of the whole system volume thing.

Would I need to use the Windows Repair or the full installation? I have not added any programs to the computer because I wanted to get this issue resolved first. I saw instructions on Microsoft for "How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows". It says you shouldn't use it unless the drive somehow changed names on its own. I don't know if it's safe to follow or not. The instructions were at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188

Please help. I want to be able to get my desktop up and running again. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Go to Disk Management...post a screenshot reflecting all hard drives/partitions, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

Louis

#3 tostito98

tostito98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Here you go.

The same drive that shows as i shows up as c when you run diskpart in dos.

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Looks to me like the install effort was botched, for whatever reason.

The Diskpart tool...should play no part at all in restoring the Dell install from recovery disks, IMO.

What model Dell system is this?

Forget the linked Microsoft instructions...you should follow Dell instrucftions.

Louis

#5 tostito98

tostito98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

It's a Dimension E521. I haven't found any good instructions from Dell on correcting the issue. Do I need to format the partition and re-install Windows? How do I format just the one partition?

The only thing I want to protect is the utility partition. Nothing else has been done with the computer since loading Windows.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Page 59 of ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-e521_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf reflects Dell instructions for installing Windows.  Doesn't sound to me as if that reflects what you have done.

Louis

#7 tostito98

tostito98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

From what I read about the utility partition, you have to set that up first before setting up the partition for windows. The manual doesn't describe setting up the utility partition. I installed Windows exactly how the disc guides you to do it. For some reason, the drive got assigned a different letter though. I don't know if I need to reinstall and that will fix it or not. Also, the manual doesn't appear to be addressing the installation on a new hard drive. It looks like is referencing a reinstall on an existing drive.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sorry but...I think that you need to talk with someone familiar with or responsible for....Dell's E521.

OEM's provide their own unique methods of installing/reinstalling Windows.

Since it appears somewhat obvious that the disk used for this installation effort...is not a MS Genuine XP System Builder or Retail version (where Windows would just install on a single partition)...there's not much I can tell you about Dell systems and their idiosyncrasies.

Your questions seem more likely to be answered at a Dell forum, IMO.

Louis

#9 tostito98

tostito98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

I ended up deleting the partition, then reinstalling Windows on the same partition. When I started it back up, Windows showed the hard drive as C. Thanks for your help though.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users