Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on buying a new wireless printer.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hello I am  in the market for a new all in one wireless printer. I have done some research and found that there are just to many to choose from. I know it might be to hard to recommend a specific model but could anyone suggest a particular brand to be looking or any brand that I should avoid. I will be using this unit at home for light duty printing needs so  I do not need a high end photo quality printer. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

If you are dealing with text and not with graphics as output...I'd just buy the cheapesrt laser mono printer available.  Ink usage alone will make you see that buying inkjets was a learning exprience.

I don't recommend models or manufacturers on items like this...despite all the advertising that would have you believe there are significant differences between similar products...there are not.  It's hard/impossible to buy a bad printer...just as it's hard to buy a bad camera these days, IMO.  These things just come down to personal preference for whatever reason.  My reason often is cost compared to what I want the product to do and how I'm going to use it.  If I am not printing phoos...there's not a lot I can assert as differentiating factors.

And...buy online, rather than local...the price differentials, selection/alternatives are better online, IMO.  Your local vendor is interested in selling inkjets and ink, in all likelihood, not laser monochrome printers.

Vendors to consider...Amazon, Newegg, Tiger Direct, if you just need ideas.

Louis

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Louis, Thanks for your quick reply and advice. I had not previously considered a laser printer but based on your advice and after doing some research on these  I think that I will be going the laser route. Thanks again for your help and taking the time to steer me in the right direction.    John  

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I use a B&W inexpensive Laser printer. Once I turn it on and warms up, Printed pages go really quick.

Since my only goal for a printer is Text the Black & White is OK. I paid around $50 on sale. If I needed Color too I would get either a inkjet to use only for color along with the much cheaper page cost B&W printer or I would have bought a Color laser.

One thing printer buyers do not take into consideration is permanence of the print.

A B&W Laser fuses the Toner powder onto the paper with heat. Thus it is pretty much permanent. A inkjet uses quick drying ink sprayed onto the paper.

getting the paper wet with a Laser printed page, it can be dried out and be fine. Many times a Inkjet printed page will run or smear. Also In the past Inkjet pages would fade if exposed to the sun, Lasers do not.

Good Luck with Your decision

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Roger,  Thanks for the info. I have just purchased a Brother "all in one" wireless laser printer this week on the recommendation's from Louis and could not be happier.  I am very happy to be done refilling ink cartridges.  Thanks again for your reply and helpful info on this subject.  John

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thank You for reporting back, I had tried refiling ink cartridges too. It usually ended up with ink-stained fingers or a mess to clean up.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 loveroftexas

loveroftexas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

From a real estate agent who prints a LOT both black and color.  Have purchased around 15 HP printers over the years & one Dell Laser.  The Dell laser  1230 was NOT cheaper and did not save me money.  Could only print and slowly at that.  Did not get anywhere near the number of pages advertised and cost about $300 per purchase for all 4 colors. I used it about a year so spent over $600 on ink.   Now HP is another story.  Have always been pleased with features and quality until this last purchase in August 2013.  Purchased HP 8600 Officejet all in one plus.  Cost ok but ink is outrageous.  About $90 for all 4 colors.  Then I started using generic ink purchased online from reputable dealer.  No problems until 2 weeks ago.  Put in new magenta.  Got printer error message;  due to digital screen cannot touch screen for any other access.  Frozen with error message of "Ink cartridge failure or printer failure". Ok maybe bad cartridge; put in another;  same message;  go to Wal Mart get HP tri color package for $57 and put in HP magenta;   NO correction. Same messsage.  Searched web and did every HP forum and other forum suggestions from reset to hard reset to cleaning printheads;  Cannot do any type of support menu access due to the digital screen being blocked with error message.   

Plus as I read I am now concerned about my HP 8500 as we have moved it to our daughter's house as a backup when our internet goes down.  If it is not being used enough, the chips will expire and we cannot use with expired chips. 

So my thoughts are HP is getting very hard nosed about their ink and more sophiscated about blocking generic or refilled ink so boycott HP.    

I am off to buy my first brother printer after doing a lot of research.    Seems to be same type printer but Brother tri color is $32 & Black is $18 whereas HP is $57 & $29.  So if I am going to be forced to buy OEM--- you do the math as I purchase at least 5 sets a year if not more.   $50 for all very $86.   BYE,, BYE HP   will never return.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users