Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe everything

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Faild

Faild

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hello, my girlfriend recently bough a Laptop, It had Windows Vista on it but she installed Windows 7. The trouble with this laptop is that it works very slow, it was formated. I presume that there are still some old registry files or visues which were not removed on format.

Can someone tell me how i can set up this laptop as fresh one? Like from store :) ? So then she can enjoy it :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

You cannot set it up as it came from the store, since it had Vista on it, along with the typical junk that OEMs install on laptops.

The first thing I would do before attempting to install a different version of the O/S...would be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the system hard drive...to ensure there are no problems there which may defeat any efforts to install/use an O/S.

Then...assuming that I have a legal copy of Win 7 on DVD and the drive checks out as functionally sound...I simply insert the Windows install disk into the optical drive...reboot...delete existing partitions...and create new partition/format/install Windows by following the bouncing ball presented onscreen during the install routine.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

It would help if you were to provide us with the make and model of this computer.

If this laptop has a recovery partition you may be able to restore Vista as the operating system.

Some recovery partitions have the option to restore ONLY the existing Windows partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Faild

Faild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm so sorry to not provide with all needed information.

It is Dell Inspiron 1545. We do have all included CD's with this computer which includes Windows Vista.

If I delete existing partitions and create new ones, then instal windows on them, will that make this computer FRESH? I what I mean by fresh is that will it be like new from store? As parentally when she got the laptop it was fresh windows on it but there still were lags on it.

What i mean by lags is things like this happen:

at min 0:20 Right button was pressed and it took 20s to show drop down menu.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Let me see if I have this right.

You have Windows 7 currently installed, but it lags.  Correct so far?

I'm guessing that you wish to keep Windows 7, and resolve the lagging issue?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Faild

Faild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hi, I would like however if it is too hard I don't mind resting it back to Vista.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UtURzRLwzoY3uKertrdd2u1

Link above, thank you for your help along with great instructions so far :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Did these discs come with the laptop?

Doing a search for information indicates that there is a recovery partition on the hdd which is accessible by pressing F8 after pressing the power button.  This must be done before Windows starts to load, so just start tapping the F8 key after pressing the power button.

If I'm wrong about the recovery partition you can use the discs to make the installation, you can find instructions at Dell Support

#8 Faild

Faild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

The vista and other, yes :) Windows 7 no.

After I was pressing F8 this is what came up:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/h0oj.jpg/

But the question is, If i remove partitions, create them again and instal windows. will that make this laptop fresh ?

Edited by Faild, 12 October 2013 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users