Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Start up takes too long.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HeavyDee1992

HeavyDee1992

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

When I type in my password and log onto my pc it can take forever before I even see the taskbar. Does anybody know what my problem is? Also, is there a shortcut that can be used so that I can stop a task, because the task manager doesn't work too good sometimes either?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crhisdem

crhisdem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

1.Go into the start menu click on run then type in msconfig

2.Click on startup tab

3.Look though your startup items and uncheck everything thats junk or you wont really want or need to turn on during startup

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

1) DO NOT use msconfig to make permanent changes to startup items

2) How long does it take exactly from the time you start the system until the taskbar is visible?

3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

4) How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

#4 HeavyDee1992

HeavyDee1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

It can go as long as maybe 10 mins. I turn it on in the morning, then go & fix myself up in the bathroom just so I don't have to wait. I just let my nephews use it to get some answers for their X-Box and other games. No hardware has been installed in the last 3 yrs. Thanks for your help. Please get this thing straight for me.

#5 crhisdem

crhisdem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

permanent? you can recheck boxes and if you disabled every single item this would not cause windows not to boot

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/msconfig_usage.mspx?mfr=true

Note that all functions listed relate to troubleshooting system issues...not managing startup items.

How To Disable Programs That Run When You Start Windows

Or you can simply use a startup manager utility.

Louis

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

2) How long does it take exactly from the time you start the system until the taskbar is visible?

3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

4) How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

#8 HeavyDee1992

HeavyDee1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

I found out after some playing around that I had these two STARTERS on my team here: Cltmng.exe  and  Ctfmon.exe . That last one just kept making my computer run and burn up memory.  I was scared that it was gonna burn up my house while I was sleep, so I made sure I turned it off after each use. The first one, I have been told is some malware. I got it under control, but my anti-virus will not get rid of it. That's when I used msconfig. Thank you everyone. I hit my head & lost a lot of years from that concussion.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

As listed in the Bleeping Computer Data Base - ctfmon.exe - Bleeping Computer and Cltmng.exe - Bleeping Computer

Always a good place to look :)

#10 HeavyDee1992

HeavyDee1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

Thanks People. I got rid of Cltmng.exe, and Ctfmon.exe can be deactivated. But EVERYONE, Y'ALL BE CAREFUL OF THAT DAMN MCAFEE ANTI- VIRUS CRAP. That software damn sure hates to be uninstalled. That program shut down my entire system worse than the junk I was trying to stop in the beginning. It will not let you take it off your computer without marking it first. I had to find my XP disc and reload it, 'cause MCAfee shut me down. I'm still trying to find some audio drivers now, 3 days after a new installation.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

I have been warning people against McAfee for many years - in my opinion it's as bad as much of the malware it purports to protect against. I always recommend ANY other av than McAfee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users