Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

if not two hard drives broken one after another, then what ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WarriorLite

WarriorLite

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

After breakdown of windows xp by user mistake, windows 7 on a different internal hard drive also stopped working. Both drives are wd caviar, one 12 years old, theother maybe 8.

as i tried to reinstall windows 7 on the older, the system refused, saying the drive was about to die.

so i replaced the older one with a newer one and once again, neither xp nor 7 can be installed.

when i try to format the second one with dos version of paragon hdm, i get i/o error.

Theoretically, this can be a conincidence of two drives dying in a row, but how about some other reasons? what else could result in such disk malfunction. and what steps to take?

could a malfunct mobo or controller mess up my data on those disks and others when doing just reading operations, like test the surface?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Considering that a new hard drive generally has a warranty period of 3 years...and it's not uncommon for some hard drives to be DOA...I'd start with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic before presuming anything.

Louis

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

hamluis is tactful as always; but the drives are dead. They are ancient, and way past their design life. Given that neither will load Windows, I don't think you need to bother with hard drive diagnostics. And no, some sort of controller error on the MOBO isn't the culprit. You are going to pay a bit of a premium price for IDE drives these days. but HDDs are still pretty cheap.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 WarriorLite

WarriorLite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

It is the drives, indeed!

I have finally found a way to deal with the problem.

I put hiren's boot cd on a usb pendrive which gave me a kind of dos explorer. it appears that in dos, or at least in this tool, all the file and folder structure remains plain and clear!! no need of partition repair is necessary. and in windows, they were not longer readable!!

I am now copying all the stuff from the faulty drives to the external hdd and once that is done, i will do all the error checking. I am against disposing of devices which have no defects, so at least one 500gb drive should remain intact. Strange these errors remained unnoticed in day-to-day operation. 

Edited by WarriorLite, 12 October 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

A 12 year old disk drive... wow!

That's a serious first for me.

#6 WarriorLite

WarriorLite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

now i am hearing it even from people who

1. do not know about what happened

2. have otherwise no real knowledge of computers

for me, as long as the disk worked , all was fine. my only mistake was i did not put on cloud more data and did not use system backup to cds

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

Unfortunately there's no facepalm emoticon on this site...

#8 WarriorLite

WarriorLite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, i see what you mean :D

but the problem with the computer seems to be deeeper. 

as i try to format another one, in winxp portable, the windows-performed formatting is not possible - access denial.

I have done deeper formatting with one of the tools, then. It went all the way throuh, but then the disk was still not accessible for the explorer. 

So i decided to try installing windows xp on the disk first. needed to format, again, and then upon the first restart the booter returned an error

to sum up, 

two of my disks have faulty errors, indeed - and they are going to trash once i squeeze all the remaining data off them

another one, which shows no error in surface tests, does not enable installing windows; after formatting, it shows itself as 800gb one, while it is only 500gb; this seems to indicate a disk controller problem, doesn't it? what else could this be?

is disk controller detachable from the motherboard, so that it could be replaced separately?

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

it could be corrupted partitions that cause the disk to show incorrect size also... but it could be the controller too.

It's simply not worth replacing the controller on an antique disk, cost to value ratio is very poor. The only reason you would attempt it is to retrieve important data, not to try and breathe new life into a disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users