Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Artifacting and display problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GordonC1993

GordonC1993

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

I have been having many problems with (possibly) my graphics card artifacting and not displaying picture properly. Originally, my tower (very big) was sitting on some table and had artifacting problems on rare occasions. Now, I have it sitting on the ground (not much of a choice right now). Every time I stomp on the ground or step on ground too hard, the screen artifacts. One side of the screen will flip flop with the other, pixels may be jittery and misaligned, etc. Sometimes it may artifact if the GPU fan is running too high. If I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, it corrects itself. However, this is starting to become a nuisance.

When I plug HDMI into the integrated Intel, there are no artifacting issues, although there is a noticeable decrease in computer performance. If I put my computer into safe mode while using my graphics card, it never artifacts. I find this really strange.

I tried many troubleshooting steps including plugging the graphics card into another PCI port, trying different cables, updating the driver, reseating graphics card, etc, all to no avail.

So I think that my graphics card is starting to bite the dust. However, it never has problems when running in safe mode. Is there a big chance that my graphics card is actually dying? Are there any other tests or troubleshooting steps I should try to run before deciding to buy a new graphics card?

I've had this computer and its components since around July 2011.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium

Antivirus Software
Avast Internet Security

Firewall
Avast Internet Security

Computer
Custom

CPU
Intel i5-2500k Overclock 4.3 Ghz (water cooled)

Motherboard
Z68A-D3H-B3

Ram
8GB DDR3

Storage
Raid 0 Array 1.5TB total

Video Card
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

Power Supply
950W

Edited by GordonC1993, 11 October 2013 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crhisdem

crhisdem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Edited by crhisdem, 11 October 2013 - 11:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users