Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I lost my DVD/RW settings and have a mess!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alaninevanston

alaninevanston

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

My DVD/RW died so I bought a used "twin to it (Lite-On LH 20A1P and installed it. At first not recognized so I removed and re-installed (I thought) the driver. Now it is recognized as a CD-Rom when it's actually a DVD/RW. So I go to remove the upper & lower filters thinking that would help and I went to look at file: {4D36E965-E325-11CE- 

BFC1-08002BE10318}  to find there are 24 of these files.

My operating system (now way overloaded) is as follows:

Mod Edit:  Removed HJT data, malware tool, not allowed in this forum - Hamluis.

Any help for this servery computer challenged old man would be greatly appreciated! I think the Tech support Guy's got burnt out trying to solve this.
Thanx,
Alan 

Edited by hamluis, 11 October 2013 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Why used? A brand new Lite-On DVD Burner is $17.99 including shipping.

#3 alaninevanston

alaninevanston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

What i bought was the first thing I found.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

If you looked in the Device Manager the optical drive will show as a CD-ROM.

I'm running Windows 7 with a blueray DVD-RW, This shows up as a DVD/CD-ROM in the device manager.

Try burning a disc.

There are good reasons for not purchasing a used optical drive.  It is an electromechanical device with moving parts which will wear out.  If you bought this from a shop you have no idea how this was used, or if the person using it was a chain smoker.  Cigarette smoke will coat the laser with nicotine which could cause errors reading or burn a disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 alaninevanston

alaninevanston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

That does make sense! The used unit is recognized but when I try to burn I get the error D:\ is not accessible incorrect function. A "smoked up or dirty optical might be my entire problem. I am using XP professional in what used to be a Compaq Presario 7478 that the local shop immensely upgraded. I read a familiar suggestion of removing the filters and then ran across the fact that I had/have  24 .of these files: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. could each entry be from an attempt at installing the DVD/RW? In clicking on "my computer", D drive shows as a DVD-Ram and E shows as a DVD drive. I am severely computer challenged and in this small town of 12,000 there are two VERY independent shops (they work when they want) so I am kinda stuck. Tech support Guys have been great in the past but have often sent me here for info & downloads etc.

Thanx,

Alan    

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 alaninevanston

alaninevanston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/q5tWwWRUD00SGUfC8ibxNBO

Thank you! That was actually fairly simple (for me). I snooped through my computer and played some more. Lite-on plays audio files and video files just fine so I looked for my EZ CD creator and can't find the program. Could have removed it accidentally? I even did the Microsoft fix-it again (never has fixed a thing but hey, worth a try) and it is telling me this device does not have recording capabilities which I know is wrong. I had a Lite-On LH-20A1P that i burned with and replaced it with a twin.

Still lost, sure appreciate the help and hope you can clear some of my fog!

Alan  

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

That model is indeed a DVD burner.

If you want to just burn a file to a disk you could download ImgBurn, it's freeware and pretty simple to use.

To burn a file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

#9 alaninevanston

alaninevanston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

​Awesome, I think I can do that. What I'm actually trying to do is copy some photos (photo files) to a disk. Long story short; I am now a Senior that became disabled at 57 (heart & other) and am getting meals on wheels. The contractor for our area is delivering in-edible meals and I have tried everywhere for help. I am now entering the Governor's office for help since the State Health Dept. is responsible. I want to include a disc of photos, instead of pages of costly pictures. Hope I can finally succeed.

Again, you don't know how much it means to have someone really interested  in helping, I can't thank you enough.

​I do have one more similar (?) problem; I videoed two short sessions of my new dog that I wanted to email to the SPCA where I got her but they are not view-able when emailed. They only open with quick time. All the other options of opening are not allowed.

Thanks again!

Alan

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm guessing that "All the other otpions of opening are not allowed" are safety measure of the SPCA to keep infections and or spam out.  You could use a online video hosting website.  I don't do videos, so I'm not going to be able to make any recommendations, perhaps another member reading this topic is and will make a suggestion.  I did a quick Google to see what is available, and I'm adding the link below for you to peruse.

hosting video files online - Google Search

I'm a retired journeyman electrician, I'm  now sixty two and had to retire about the same age as you do to back problems and a severe lack of cartilage in my left knee.

The real problem with organizations like Meals on Wheels is that there are so many people who can't tolerate any spices in their food, so they wind up making some very bland fare.   I don't know what part of the country you are from, but most towns or cities have food banks which are willing to help those who need it.  Just a thought. 

#11 alaninevanston

alaninevanston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

We had excellent food before. About a year ago, they canned the cook and hired another. The Senior center here is not operated by what you know or can do but who you know and what you can do for them. I'm intent on proving this to the Governor!

Sorry about your back and early forced retirement. I'm about to hit 64 and have no idea how I got so old so fast. I do like spicy food but I'm fine with most foods that have flavor and aren't cremated before freezing.

Once again, your help is priceless!

Alan 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users