Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email & Facebook are already open when first starting WIN7/IE10 desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wpetski

wpetski

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

After signing off my Facebook and MSN email accounts (desktop) at night, the next morning when I boot up, they are open. Also, when on MSN home page, Live Mail, or web pages with links, my Optical Wireless Pilot Mouse left click does not function on most links I click on - I have to right click and then click on OPEN. 

I use Norton 360, and have also run Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy,  SUPERAntiSpyware trying to find my problem.

I found Bleeping Computer when using Norton Web Support.  I hope there is someone out there that can advise me on what to do next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

No reason for them to be open unless someone/something has them running at boot, IMO.

I'd use a startup manager such as Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and see what's listed.  Any items listed can be unchecked to prevent them running at boot, this does not prevent the program from running on demand.

Louis

#3 wpetski

wpetski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

I checked out Startup Control Panel - did not find any related to FB or my email that would make them open as already being logged on.  That is what bothers me --if someone can open either or both from another computer while my desktop is shut down.

Any other ideas?   Also, am I on the correct Forum for this problem?

The optical mouse problem started at about the same time, but seems unrelated. Should this be a separate item on another Forum?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

I think your description is a little confusing because you're not talking about startup programs. You're talking about auto login to password protected sites like Facebook, Twitter, webmail and even Bleeping Computer. If you want to manually input passwords each time you log in, that's up to you. Browsers will remember your passwords and log you in automatically if you want them to. That's what a lot of users do. I'll let someone more knowledgeable explain how password protection works. But if your PC is off, your Facebook page can't be hacked. 

#5 wpetski

wpetski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

That is a relief - knowing that FB & email can't be hacked when computer is shut down.  I must have set auto logon, not know what I had done (I know just enough to be dangerous).  Thanx.  I have been thinking about a password program, but not sure which is easy, but secure.

Any ideas about mouse problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users