Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan noisy on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stufarq

stufarq

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Recently my IBM ThinkPad T43 (running Windows XP SP3) has been making a loud whirring noise when booting and the noise seems to be coming from the fan. It didn't used to do this and doesn't it every time but does do it most times. After a short time it stops and only once has the noise recurred later during the same session. There have been no other problems or error messages.

I've read that ThinkPad fans are notoriously noisy so I'm not entirely sure whether I have a problem or not. On the one hand the noise is new but on the other it doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects.

I haven't yet opened up the casing to check for loose parts etc.

Does it sound like I need to replace the fan, should I open it up and look for visual clues or is it just a noisy fan and nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Edited by stufarq, 11 October 2013 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SA Spurs1

SA Spurs1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Take an air canister and blow out the vents. See if there is an improvement. If not, then replace the fan.

#3 stufarq

stufarq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

Okay I'll give that a try. Thanks.

#4 stufarq

stufarq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Nowhere local sells compressed air so I've had to order. It'll be a few days before I can tell you whether it's worked.

#5 stufarq

stufarq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Not sure if anyone's still watching this thread. The compressed air didn't work so I bought a new fan. But it took me a while to open the laptop because of a particularly tough screw and I had trouble finding the right screwdriver.

Finally got inside and replaced the fan but it's made no difference. The new fan still sounds like it's labouring and the laptop is still getting too hot. Any ideas what else the problem could be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users