Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Molex adapter cable for SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Anyone ever use this getup successfully?  my second SATA connection off of my PSU is frayed and has to be physically manipulated to recognize and connect to the non-boot storage hdd, so i saw this cheap molex ~ SATA adapter cable and picked it up.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Those work fine. I personally used them and used them for other people and had no issues. Talking about this right? http://www.jham-trading.nl/ProduktPics/Molex-SATA_TN.jpg

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Yes, that is the one.

wow,  so if a PSU has many molexs, can those adapters be used on as many HDDs as the MoBo RAID configuration allows?? I am limited by my MoBo to 2 RAID connections.

#4 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

As far as limitations, I am not 100% sure. Sounds like if the PSU has many of molex cables, it may be a fairly older model with not much wattage. So I'd say it probably limited. The adapters are really used as bandaids if you dont have the correct connectors. I wouldnt rely on using that many in one system. The systems I use them for were probably no more than 1 or 2 adapters.

Sincerely, Blake.

#5 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

excellent. this topic may generate some spinoffs.

my wimpy thermaltake tr2-430w PSU has only two SATA connectors but quite a few molexs.

Edited by synergy513, 11 October 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes You could convert all the Molex to SATA Power connctions. Keeping in mind Wattage requirements as bory504 mentions. A different option would be to buy a Molex to SATA Y cable that is a convenient way to power two SATA drives that are close to each other. Such as these.

Offered as a example only. 6 inch Molex to SATA Power Y Cable | 4 Pin Molex to 2 SATA Power

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0qakzyFME11fSsMKZF8UNBLe1fFIXm33m5EyTCqJj2q3TO83canqp-d66mQ

You can even get them in one molex to three SATA power connectors if needed.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yes You could convert all the Molex to SATA Power connctions. Keeping in mind Wattage requirements as bory504 mentions. A different option would be to buy a Molex to SATA Y cable that is a convenient way to power two SATA drives that are close to each other. Such as these.

Offered as a example only. 6 inch Molex to SATA Power Y Cable | 4 Pin Molex to 2 SATA Power

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0qakzyFME11fSsMKZF8UNBLe1fFIXm33m5EyTCqJj2q3TO83canqp-d66mQ

You can even get them in one molex to three SATA power connectors if needed.

Good Luck

Roger

I wasn't sure if you could use as many as you want, but I do know putting wattage into thought is important. But that's good to know thanks.

Sincerely, Blake.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

One of the limiting factors is the Actual power supply wires. Some power supplies have a thicker gauge wire coming out of them than cheap ones do and that wire can handle more current that a thin wire.

When I Used Molex to SATA or Molex extensions or Molex Y cables I always used wire ties to ensure the most reliable connection between the power supply cable and the add-on cable.

I also suspect that being newer technology the SATA drives use less power than the older IDE drives. I never measured to confirm that however. The Actual requirements can be looked up on the makers website for the curious.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users