Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advertisement Links in Text, New Advertisement Windows Open When Clicking Links

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DoktorD1313

DoktorD1313

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Usually I am careful, but unfortunately on a slight lapse of judgement I installed a faulty program (from CNET I believe) that I think contained some sort of malware. 

There are now advertisement links on random key words in website text. Also, 1/3 times I click on legitimate links (like the Sign In link on BleepingComputer) I get a new tab opening on Google Chrome to multiple advertisement sites.

I notice two different names on the text links. They are "Kontera" and "Text-Enhance".

I tried running Ad-Aware as well as Malwarebytes, but both end up freezing after about an 1H 30M into the scan.

I'm running Windows 8 x64-bit.

Edited by DoktorD1313, 11 October 2013 - 08:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

The double-underlined random words you are referring to is called in-text advertising and it is very common. Kontera, Text Enhance and Vibrant are are some of the more popular advertising networks that provide in-text advertising and information services.

The double-underlined word is actually a keyword embedded within text of a web page. The keyword is intended to provide consumers with information that is related to what they are reading. When hovering your mouse over this keyword, a pop up ad is displayed with a preview of the ad the text links to. This process works by allowing webmasters to insert JavaScript code into web pages that displays relevant advertisements from an inventory of advertisers. This script scans a web page and dynamically modifies keywords an advertiser has targeted on the page and double-underlines them. The words and the double-lines under them are usually blue in color but it is not uncommon for them to appear in various other colors such as red or green.

:step1: In-text advertising is a form of contextual advertising commonly used to promote business and generate revenue to offset the cost of maintaining a web site each time a website visitor clicks on an in-text ad. Advertisements from in-text ads also help to generate targeted traffic to a website and improve their natural search engine ranking.

Delivering ads to users based on their preferences. Adware programs analyze a user's Web surfing habits to determine the type of merchandise they are likely to purchase. As a result of the analysis, "contextual ads" are made to pop up periodically. Contextual marketing is widely implemented by search engines. They display ads on the results pages based on the key words users enter for a search. In addition, contextual marketing is available for Web sites in general. The service offers to place ads on pages that are geared to the audience likely to visit the site.

Definition of: contextual marketing

What is In-text Advertising?
In-text advertising is a monetization method that has taken the affiliate marketing world by storm. As long as you've got content, we've got a commission check with your name on it! Intextual simply scans your pages, and then selects ads that go along with the subject matter. Users will only see the ads when they hover over double hyperlinked keywords that are impossible to miss. Even if someone accidentally engages an In-text ad, the widget will disappear after a few seconds without interaction or the user can simply "X" out manually.

AdMedia: Publish In-Text Ads and Make Money Online

Text-Enhance is a premium service offered to you by our publishers. We work with various websites as well as software products to help them provide value to their users. Please remember that if you are seeing Text-Enhance links, this does not mean you are "infected" or are having issues with your computer. It also does not mean websites you view have been "hacked". If you are seeing these links, it means that the website you are on or a piece of software on your computer has decided to offer you this service...If you would like to disable these links from showing up, you can opt-out here.

What is Text-Enhance?Most companies which utilize In-Text Ads have an Opt-Out procedure listed in their privacy statements or learn more about pages.

Example 1: Vibrant Privacy Statement - Vibrant Opt-Out Procedure

5. Controlling the Use of Your Information and Opting-Out

Example 2: Learn more about Infolinks <-scroll down to

Prefer to not see In-Text Ads on this site? Click here to opt-out

Example 3: Kontera Privacy Statement

If you prefer that Kontera not collect any information about your website visits for the purpose of delivering targeted advertising, you may opt out by clicking here.

Kontera Ad Choices

Do you want to disable Kontera ads?
To disable, click the link below and then refresh your internet page. If you delete or refresh your cookies, Kontera's ads will be re-activated automatically. Click here to disable.

Example 4: What is AdChoice? - How To Specify your preferences from an advertisement to opt out

What is AdChoice?
When you search, browse, and otherwise interact on eBay and affiliated websites, we're able to use the information we collect to make the ads you see on eBay as relevant to you as possible. We may also work with other websites or ad networks to share information and show you customized ads elsewhere. The information we share can't be used to personally identify you.

Example 5: About Ad Choices - I'd like to opt out of interest-based ads. How do I do that?

About Ad Choices
...our ads are based on the content of pages you are viewing, but we also provide ads tailored to your interests. Our hope is that by presenting ads tailored to your interests, we will enhance your experience...

Since these advertising websites use Cookies, opting-out is much easier than having to delete cookies or run a series of anti-spyware scans. In some cases you can disable In-Text Ads by hovering over one of the double-underlined words with your mouse and clicking the small "?" (question mark) at the top or bottom of the popup box. This will take you to a page that explains the ads and allow you to disable them (opt-out) using another cookie. In other cases, if you click on the Advertiser's name - i.e. AdChoices - you are taken to a page which contains opt-out information. If you just delete or refresh your cookies, the in-text advertising will be re-activated and the ads will reappear. You can also add these advertising companies to Internet Explorer's Restricted sites or disable them in Firefox with third party tools so the sites cannot be accessed.

:step2: Also be aware that there are software programs and browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins which can be installed and used to display in-text advertisements.

Linksicle offers a free search and translation utility in exchange for agreement to install the software and receive advertising. In order to keep Linksicle free you may see banner, text, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial, video, coupon, and/or in-text advertisements through the software on websites where features operate and during general internet usage...To keep use of Linksicle free you will see ads delivered by the software on websites where Linksicle’s features operate and while you browse the internet.

About Linksicle Advertising
How do I uninstall Linksicle?

You may be seeing ads as part of our advertising solution for Internet properties (such as websites or web browser extensions). This solution provides content at no cost to you and displays advertisements during your web browsing experience. It was installed by you, or someone who uses your computer.

You currently have the following plugin installed...To quickly remove all software and associated advertising provided by this product, you may uninstall the program from "Add/Remove programs" on your Windows computer.

Text Enhance Uninstall Instructions
Text Enhance Browser Extensions Uninstall Instructions

These extensions are usually bundled with other free software you download and install. Since they are often installed without your knowledge or consent, they are classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

Note: Many of these extensions are cross web browser plugins for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome so make sure you check all your browsers to remove or disable even if you seldom use them. See this Example: Advertising Support Uninstall Instructions

Managing-Disabling-Removing Browser Add-ons:
* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How to Manage Extensions in Google Chrome
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer
* How to remove “Installed by enterprise policy” extension from Chrome

If an extension is not removable then you need to find the root software with which it came bundled with. Generally it can be found in Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs from with Control Panel. To unininstall software...instead of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs, try using a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:
How To Block advertisements in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Opera
Disable Text Ads in Firefox with GreaseMonkey script manager and the Disable Text Ads script
Disable Text Ads for Greasemonkey
BlockSite

About Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Overview
- Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer
- Adblock Plus for Firefox
- Adblock Plus for Chrome
- Adblock Plus for Opera
- Adblock Plus FAQs
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus - How to Use the Element Hiding Helper with Adblock Plus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 DoktorD1313

DoktorD1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I was able to disable Kontera, but have had no such luck with Text-Enhance. 

When Clicking on the "?", on the next page I see the following:

You currently have the following plugin installed: No extension Found. Get more help.

To quickly remove all software and associated advertising provided by this product, you may uninstall the program from "Add/Remove programs" on your Windows computer.

Also upon opting out of Kontera, it seems another form of In-Text ad has surfaced that does not pop up anything when hovered by the mouse, only displaying an obscure URL at the bottom of Chrome.

I don't really see any unidentified programs in the control panel that are installed that could be causing any of the other issues.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Did you check all your browser add-ons/extensions as detailed in Text Enhance Browser Extensions Uninstall Instructions?

Instead of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, try using a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it.

Revo sometimes finds more installed software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users