Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kershawh

kershawh

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

I have just installed Snow Leopard  10.6.3 and it now takes my MacBook Pro quite a long time to start.

It starts with the grey screen and the apple sign then the busy spinning icon. After a while a plain blue screen appears for quite a long time (longer than before when I was running Leopard 10.5). Then it goes into desktop, I would say it takes a good 3 to 4 minutes in all,

I have repaired the disc permissions and reset the PRAM but to no avail.

What do I need to do to make my Mac start a little quicker.

Many thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Booting into Verbose Mode might tell you what is causing the slow boot. A log file will be created in Console.app (Applications > Utilities) in system.log.

Are there any startup items listed under your account in System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Log In Items? if there are disable them all then add them one at a time to see if any affects the boot up time.

How did you upgrade to SL? a Fresh Install or did you upgraded over the previous OS X? 

I'd also update all the system updates from Apple menu > Software update to see if that would fix the issue.

#3 Armand Duval

Armand Duval

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

If it's still not fixed with Buddyme2's method, try MacKeeper or MacBooster to boost your mac.

#4 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I upgraded over the previous OS, do you think a clean install would cure this.

#5 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

Have you tried a Safe Boot.  That can help by cleaning and adjusting some items on our Mac.  Shut down the computer.  Now holding the left shift key, hit the power button.   Keep holding down the shift key until you see the login screen.  Log in to your account.  Allow everything to load.  Next, shut down and reboot.  See if that helps.

After that try using Onyx, which is a harmless program to tune-up and clean your Mac.  It is made by Titanium, manufacturers of the anti-virus program I use.  Onyx is free and I use it all the time.  Go to:  http://www.titanium.free.fr and click on the "download" tab on top.  Download and install the version for your operating system.

After install, to to preferences and click on the update tab to ask Onyx to always check for updates.

When you run Onyx the first time, have it do the scans.  Then click on the tab to clean the Mac (clean the user, system, internet, and fonts areas).  It will take several reboots, but be patient.  Next click on the maintenance tab.  Rebuild the DYLD cache - doesn't take long.  Repair the permissions and ACLs.  (This takes a while - be patient.)

I would also advise you to at some point purchase Lion from the App store and install it on your Mac.  That could also solve your problem.  Snow Leopard is a pretty old operating system.  The installation of Lion will also put a Recovery partition on your hard drive.  That way, when you have problems, you simply start the Mac by holding down Command-R and it takes you to a set of Apple recovery tools.  Lion is pretty inexpensive.  I think it is only $19.95.

#6 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hi

Thanks for your help.

Being a fairly old Mac (2007) I am led to believe that I will be unable to install Lion on it - is this true.

I have used Onyx before so I will give it a go.

#7 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

Here are the requirements for running Lion.  http://support.apple.com/kb/SP629

Go to the Apple icon in the upper left hand part of your screen.  Select "About this Mac"

Click on More information.

Check and see if your Mac has the requirements.  I think it does.

Also, I found this Apple support article relating the requirements for Mountain Lion.  http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Seems to say that most macs 2007 and later can run Mountain Lion.  It these can run Mountain Lion, then they most certainly can run Lion.

#8 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hi

Thanks to all you members for your help.

I booted from my installation disc and did a "repair disc" I then ran Onyx and it seems a lot better now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users