I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and experiencing registry issues. I am only able to boot to Last Known Good Configuration (LKGC) ...otherwise experience BSOD. The blue screen boot issue has been going on for a while but I now need to be able to reboot and am seeking help in the hope that I'll be able to avoid an installation repair or complete reinstallation of Windows.
I was going to follow the instructions for restoring a previous control set here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142033 but it my registry looks a bit different and I'd prefer to check with someone who understands more than I do before I proceed.
The Microsoft instructions:
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Select, which will display the following parameters (your data field may vary depending on the ControlSet being used): Current:REG_DWORD:0x3
...note that my registry files look different:
Considering these difference in my control set, I'm a bit confused regarding how to modify the rest of the instructions to fit my system.
The remaining instructions from micorosft:
- Look in ControlSet001 through ControlSet003 to find the ControlSet that should be restored.
- Change the data in the following Registry key:Current:REG_DWORD:0x3 and Default:REG_DWORD:0
to the appropriate ControlSet. For Example:
- Change the LastKnownGood:REG_DWORD:0x2 to the previous Current data. For example: LastKnownGood:REG_DWORD:0x3
- Exit Regedt32 and reboot the server.
I know this should be pretty straight forward, but I get nervous when it comes to modifying registry files. Can anyone help with explicit directions?