Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pls help me modify control set to last known good configuration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ceegee

ceegee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and experiencing registry issues. I am only able to boot to Last Known Good Configuration (LKGC) ...otherwise experience BSOD. The blue screen boot issue has been going on for a while but I now need to be able to reboot and am seeking help in the hope that I'll be able to avoid an installation repair or complete reinstallation of Windows.

I was going to follow the instructions for restoring a previous control set here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142033 but it my registry looks a bit different and I'd prefer to check with someone who understands more than I do before I proceed.

The Microsoft instructions:

1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Select, which will display the following parameters (your data field may vary depending on the ControlSet being used): 

Current:REG_DWORD:0x3
    Default:REG_DWORD:0x3
    Failed:REG_DWORD:1
    LastKnownGood:REG_DWORD:0x2

...note that my registry files look different:

Current:REG_DWORD:0x4

Default:REG_WORD:0x4

Failed:REG_DWORD:0x3

LastKnownGood:REG_DWORD:0x1

Considering these difference in my control set, I'm a bit confused regarding how to modify the rest of the instructions to fit my system.

The remaining instructions from micorosft:

1. Look in ControlSet001 through ControlSet003 to find the ControlSet that should be restored.
  2. Change the data in the following Registry key:

Current:REG_DWORD:0x3 and Default:REG_DWORD:0

to the appropriate ControlSet. For Example:

Current:REG_DWORD:0x1
    Default:REG_DWORD:0x1
  3. Change the LastKnownGood:REG_DWORD:0x2 to the previous Current data. For example: 

LastKnownGood:REG_DWORD:0x3
  4. Exit Regedt32 and reboot the server.

I know this should be pretty straight forward, but I get nervous when it comes to modifying registry files. Can anyone help with explicit directions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

If you need to ask you should not touch... yes you should get nervous editing your control set registry.

When you boot to last known good does it not remember those settings? Or does it bluescreen again in the same session?

Have you restored your machine to a point in time before this all began? Have you tried running 'sfc /scannow' from the command prompt?

What is the issue using a repair disk? It will likely fix your problem if these other solutions cannot... It is non destructive on your data and you don't have to carry anything heavy up the stairs, the machine does all the work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users