Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:24 AM

Here's an interesting article I found on Google news. Talks about IE 7, and how it stacks against it's competitors (mozilla, safari etc.). IE 7 is in public Beta now. Personally, I have no interest in downloading it or using it.

ARTICLE LINK
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

Looks to me like MS is playing a fast catch-up to the competition which they have ignored for four years. At least for users of XP who only know IE6, it may represent some improvement; but for the other 50 percent of users who have earlier versions, they conveniently for MS's profit structure, to remain with IE6 or hopefully look elsewhere for something contemporary. OF course, IE must continue to be patched since it remains part of the operating system, and given MS's need to constant patches, IE7 will naturally not be an exception unless, which I do not read, its programmers actually spent some time fixing all the potential vulnerabilities the code no doubt inherits from the prior versions.

The only reason I will install it, once it gets out of Beta, will to have it handy to help our memberships with the inevitable problems that it will bring.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hello,

I have been using IE7 for about two months. Firefox is my default browser, so I actually don't so much web browsing with IE7, but I use it to see how it displays the web pages that I author. And just like IE6, things are displayed differently then say Firefox and Opera, which display content similarly these days.

It is not an extreme difference by no means, but just last year, Firefox and Opera teams got together and at least tried to make their respective browsers somewhat parallel to eachother in regards to how content is displayed.

Where is IE for all this? Well just as jgweed states, they were to busy trying to play catch up, and I think that this is just a setback for the overall developement of things to come, mainly because of the popularity of their Operating Systems.

I am not trying to bag on Microsoft at all, but sometimes pride does get in the way of growth, at least that is my opinion.

I have found a few annoyances in IE7. The toolbars are very buggy. They don't do what they are told, and the first thing I thought was I got hijacked. So I sscanned with HJT analyzed the log, and all the normal expected entries were there. I still did a couple of scans just in case. Clean as usuall.

Also, it seems to manifest page loading errors frequently, which I discovered that emptying the cache, and reloading the page resolves the issue until the next time it happens. I noticed it started doing this when the cache gets over about 18 - 25 Megabytes. None of my other browsers have this problem(Avant, Maxthon, Slim Browser) and they are all based on the IEshell, so I am guessing it is just one of the bugs in the current beta version.

One last thing I have found by using IE7 is that it practically refuses to download .reg files, which I have configured to be allowed. It's not the settings, nor the host file, or any of my security apps. Once again all the other browsers accomplished the feat with no problem.

Hope this is usefull,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users