Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Go with OEM Win7 or return it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 okiewild

okiewild

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm upgrading and bought a new ASUS mobo, Intel Haswell i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and Windows 7 Home 64-bit (OEM). Didn't realize what I was getting into with an OEM OS. After seeing all the MS warning labels on the package, I did some research. Apparently if I ever need to re-install Win 7 and there's been a change in the mobo, I'm out of luck.

Any thoughts about whether I should go with what I've got or exchange the unopened OEM disc for a much more expensive retail version?

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2013 - 04:28 PM.
Moved from System Building to Windows 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I go with the OEM versions for my own use.

I just looked on a online retailer and the OEM was 1/2 the price of the Retail version.

The Motherboard will have warranty and by the time the warranty runs out It will be time to go to a newer version of Windows anyway.

At present I use Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I have on the shelf unopened Windows Vista, 7, & 8 as a just in case. I still have a Windows XP upgrade retail too.

Just in case

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

<<Apparently if I ever need to re-install Win 7 and there's been a change in the mobo, I'm out of luck.>>

Been that way since 2006 or so, I think...that's the official policy.

But...in reality, my experience has been that the PA process may give a pass on such, as long as the motherboard is the only variable and user explains that change was mandated by damaged board.  Obviously, no one wants the same license appearing on two different systems and the burden of proof falls onto the user, as it should.

There's a reason why retail versions are more expensive :).

But if Microsoft intends to produce O/Ses like hotcakes as they did with Win 8...then it's somewhat immaterial if a user pays for a retail version or not.  The version will be OBE (overcome by events) before the user changes hardware, IMO.

Window 9, Coming Soon?

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

True as Louis says, At least in the past You could get a pass on reusing a OEM if the motherboard was bad and an exact replacement was not available. They would not however do that for an upgrade vs a repair.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sounds like sticking with OEM will not be the end of the world. 

I did notice however that one MS tech said the installer disk could be used to replace my existing XP unless it was a "clean install." Doesn't that mean the C drive must be blank? If so, can I launch the PC from the installer DVD and do all necessary operations? Or do I need an alternative approach? 

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

What it will usually do if You want it to do, is put all the old windows files in a special directory. However If there is nothing on that drive You want to salvage then I suggest choosing the option to format the drive so You start with a clean slate. Saving the files option leaves junk all over in some cases.

The Windows Installer when You boot from the DVD can remove partitions, or Format or let you choose which drive to use.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Perfect. The My Documents folder--where I keep most current files--is already on my D drive. I've also got two external USB HDs. I can shuffle things around make sure anything I want from the C is backed up somewhere. 

Thanks for the advice; as always!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well...there is no "upgrade" path from XP to Win 7...even though there is an upgrade version of Win 7.

So...any install of Win 7 on on a system reflecting XP...will result in a clean install where the XP install is removed.  As stated, you may have an option to save that XP install, but any install using a Win 7 DVD will result in a clean install with Win 7 alone on the hard drive where XP formerly was.

For the sake of surety...I suggest you back up anything you want...before attempting to install Win 7.

Louis

#9 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Louis, I have a full mirror backup of the C. I'm also pulling off any individual non-xp-system files I want to keep onto external media. 

Thanks!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users