Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is a good trusted program for using Windows 7 laptop as a wifi access pt.?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kranklebird

kranklebird

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm not sure if this question is in the right section so please let me know if not and I'll move it, but..

I would like to use my machine as a  (non-broadcasted) access point for other devices to connect to wifi.

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2013 - 12:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Netwoorking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Turn Your Windows PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

I would like to use my machine as a  (non-broadcasted) access point for other devices to connect to wifi.

How is your network currently setup? Please provide the computer model also next time.

Tekken

#4 kranklebird

kranklebird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

On a public network in an apt. building.

Computer is eee pc on windows 7.  (I forget the model # but can get it, why do you need?)

SpywareDoc, thank you for the link.  I didn't realize I need an additional wireless card!  

(I should have mentioned .... The current wireless card is being used to connect to a public wireless router.  I was hoping to somehow share that connection, or use the laptop as a "repeater" (I think is the correct terminology) since my phone's wifi technology isn't the latest and therefore doesn't see the signal of the public wireless router. )

So is having a second wireless card on the laptop the only way?  (If so is there a way to get a virtual one maybe to somehow do it that way?)

Edited by kranklebird, 11 October 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#5 kranklebird

kranklebird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Help!  :grinner:

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Connectify Hotspot

?

Edited by SpywareDoc, 12 October 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#7 kranklebird

kranklebird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

That is really good thank you!  I happen to be really broke though for at least the next couple months.  

Is there a free way out there?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

.... The current wireless card is being used to connect to a public wireless router.  I was hoping to somehow share that connection, or use the laptop as a "repeater"

Connectify is free but limited to a wireless capable laptop/computer and should be connected by LAN to share a virtual wireless access point. The paid version if I understand... is capable of re-broadcasting a wireless (hotspot) configured of different SSID and password to other wireless devices.

Free Hotspot - computer must be on LAN with wireless card enabled (preferably laptop) to create a different wifi access point or hotspot.

Paid version - supports both wifi to wifi/LAN to wifi setups. See also Connectify FAQ from the given link.

Tekken

#9 kranklebird

kranklebird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Virtual Router is FREE:

https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Supported%20Devices

Except I'm using Windows 7 Starter so it may not work (on a different page at that domain they say that since Microsoft has Virtual Wifi Features disabled by default, Windows 7 Starter is the only OS that it doesn't support).  However, my wireless card is listed as one of their supported devices, and the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter is enabled on my machine...

So shouldn't it work?

Are there any Virtual Wifi features that I'm unaware here?

If yes, can they be enabled somehow, via command lines maybe?

Edited by kranklebird, 12 October 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#10 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Create a System Restore point then try it and see. If it doesn't work, uninstall it, then do a System Restore back to the point you just created.

#11 kranklebird

kranklebird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thank you.  It didn't work I gotta find free alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users