Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information regarding October 10th's DDOS attack

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

As some of you may have noticed, Bleepingcomputer.com was down for 2 hours this morning. This was due to a distributed DDOS attack on our web servers. At its peak, this attack was sending over 4GB of traffic towards our site. When our ISP noticed this, they immediately took action and placed the site in their scrubbing service. Unfortunately, there was a snafu on their end and it took the site offline rather than just scrubbing the DDOS attack.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Lawrence, thank you for the update. Not surprising as malevolent individuals will do anything to topple such a successful site, much to their consternation.

Mike

#3 Machinebuilder70

Machinebuilder70

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thank you for this site and thanks for keeping things working! (despite the efforts of fools to do the opposite)

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

"Sorry for the inconvenience."

No apology needed. Like so many others, I'm extremely grateful that you're here and doing what you're doing.

And, you must be doing something right if someone's going to orchestrate this type of attack at you.

Thank you (and all the other volunteers) over and over again.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your support and the kind words.

#6 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

Same thing again today Grinler?

Edit: Ah, yes. I see you've been having fun :P

Edited by Casey_boy, 11 October 2013 - 03:20 AM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#7 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

The black hats out there probably resent Bleeping because so many of their evil deeds have been exposed by them.  This site gives average folk like me some leverage against those trying to spy, steal, or vandalize.  Not only that,  some hackers may want to try and hack Bleeping just for the challenge of doing it, seeing it as a test of their hacking skills.  It's not always easy being the good guy, and that's clearly what the folks at Bleeping are.  This online quote I found is appropriate:

“The way you treat people who are in no position to help you, further you, or benefit you reveals the true state of your heart.”

Mandy Hale, The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass

For those who "get it," that pretty much sums things up. 

Neophyte

#8 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Great to see that the site back online! :)

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#9 Sluicebox

Sluicebox

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

No need to apologize. I actually stumbled across this site recently and it has helped me IMMENSELY in the short time I've been browsing it. I will certainly be a regular user from now on and I just thought this would be an appropriate place to express the gratitude I have toward every contributor of this site. Keep doing what you're doing! 

#10 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

I wasn't able to access the website for a while, way more than 2 hours, I was up at 6 am and it was down, and when I got home from College it was down.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Guess my ISP was filtering out innocents at the time.

#12 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I sometimes could get to the website but everything was a 404 error, except the homepage which simply said.

"IT WORKS!"

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#13 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

I sometimes could get to the website but everything was a 404 error, except the homepage which simply said.

"IT WORKS!"

Some changes were made to our DNS information which could result in this problem. At this point most DNS servers should have updated with the new information and you should be able to access the site just as before. If you are still having any issues viewing parts of the site, please try to clear your internet cache. If that doesn't work, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#14 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Blade! Now I now why yesterday I cannot access the website, I think my DNS server(That cannot access many sites) has add new DNS data.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I added a message to the "It works!" page that people were seeing to explain that they should use a different DNS server that properly updates its info. I suggested OpenDNS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users